Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Re: 2 fishermen fell through ice Long Lake

Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:05 pm

Yes there's 35 degree water, 10' down. Not right under the ice. Water right under the ice will be almost at freezing.

I wonder when "frznh2ofshr" punched a hole in the ice and wet a line? I'd donate funds for 3 wood duck houses if he can post a pic of a temperature reading of 35 degrees right under the ice.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:22 pm

Fish Felon wrote:An inch of ice melting this past weekend???

Really? :roll:

So when the top 1" of soil unfroze after 4" of snow melted, so then ice is not capable of melting an inch too?
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:44 pm

Nope.

Since I was out ice fishing before and after I can attest that we didn't lose any ice.

Can you?

No, you can't. But you sure like to speculate about what happened even though you have no clue what you're talking about.

So when are you getting me that picture of the 35 degree water temp right under the ice?
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Bustin Lips
Coot Commander

Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:57 pm

There are some really nice rock bass in Long Lake
Kids are like farts, the only ones you can stand are your own!

deet
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:22 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:
Fish Felon wrote:An inch of ice melting this past weekend???

Really? :roll:

So when the top 1" of soil unfroze after 4" of snow melted, so then ice is not capable of melting an inch too?

You do understand that snow, soil, and solid ice are all very different things, right?

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:02 pm

Yes I do. The bottom line is that there was no sun out. Thus air temp played the key, also the wind on Sat played a role. When the air temp alone can melt 4" of snow AND 1" of soil, well one has to to be right stupid to think the air can not melt ice too.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:53 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:Yes I do. The bottom line is that there was no sun out. Thus air temp played the key, also the wind on Sat played a role. When the air temp alone can melt 4" of snow AND 1" of soil, well one has to to be right stupid to think the air can not melt ice too.

You forgot to mention the 35 degree water..........
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:56 pm

Well, interestingly, doesn't the sun have an affect on things even when it is cloudy? Gamma radiation man, it will blow your mind..... pppffffftttttt

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:19 am

Sun bursts is your friend....

Kind of funny though that when it is cloudy you do not feel the heat of the sun vs when sunny out how warm it feels. :D

deet
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:26 am

h2ofwlr wrote:Yes I do. The bottom line is that there was no sun out. Thus air temp played the key, also the wind on Sat played a role. When the air temp alone can melt 4" of snow AND 1" of soil, well one has to to be right stupid to think the air can not melt ice too.

It's okay to be wrong, Al.

Yes, some ice probably melted. Might not have been measurable, but surely a little ice turned to water.

The points are:
1. 4" of snow melting and 1" of ground loosening up is no indication that over 1" of ice on lakes melted.
2. The water is not 35 deg just below the ice.

If ever there was an opportunity to admit you're wrong, save some face, and prove some credibility, this is the time. After all, it's not like this is the most common sensical subject in the world. You're not an idiot for being wrong.

What does 1" of melted soil look like, by the way? Lava?

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”