Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Re: Pike Spearing Returns To Mille Lacs

Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:19 am

Nershi wrote:The darkhouse association is an extremely influential organization and is not easy to work with when they want their way.

Why is that? There's only like 15,000 guys that spear. I don't understand their pull. That association in my eyes are as big of assholes as the MWA by pushing for, and getting the special regs lifted on lakes just so they can spear giant northerns.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Waterfowlist
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:45 am

Try dark house spearing its a blast. Definitely the only type of ice fishing related activity worth it IMO

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:57 am

Trigger wrote:
Nershi wrote:The darkhouse association is an extremely influential organization and is not easy to work with when they want their way.

Why is that? There's only like 15,000 guys that spear. I don't understand their pull. That association in my eyes are as big of assholes as the MWA by pushing for, and getting the special regs lifted on lakes just so they can spear giant northerns.

They're backed by the Amish Mafia.

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:07 am

Quack wrote:A few wolves get shot during deer season, a few extra pintails & cans get shot during duck season , a hen pheasant, and maybe a walleye gets speared. Isn't the problem a top heavy walleye pop? Why can't people spear walleyes anyway- long as they stay in the limit for whatever lake they are on?

Great question!

In Minnesota we have a holier than thou mentality towards how a critter or finned swimmer gets harvested. It is ok to fish for muskies but lord forbid anyone ever keeps one, cause fishing for sport alone is such a higher plateau than for fun and a meal.

The catch and release plague is worse imo than the catch and keep everything. And I release a ton of fish and get the ideal, but it has turned into a fanatic type of fundamentalism.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:36 pm

I'm not a huge fish guy, but I don't think the spearers are very powerful.... They fought all the pike restrictions & basically lost until a year or two ago.

I think the walleye nazis blame pike for walleye woes & do what they can to relax pike restrictions.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:54 pm

Quack wrote:I'm not a huge fish guy, but I don't think the spearers are very powerful.... They fought all the pike restrictions & basically lost until a year or two ago.

I think the walleye nazis blame pike for walleye woes & do what they can to relax pike restrictions.

Definitely not true.

deet
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:08 pm

Nershi wrote:...A walleye population that has cycled up and down for decades regardless of the amount of pike, bass, nets, slots etc. in/on the lake.

You know as well as I do that the musky boom is 95% responsible for the walleye population [near] extermination.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:17 pm

Isn't the presence of muskies typically the reason spearing isn't allowed?

And if we're not spearing muskies, won't their population respond to take advantage of the increased bio availability for carrying capacity?

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:54 pm

deet wrote:
Nershi wrote:...A walleye population that has cycled up and down for decades regardless of the amount of pike, bass, nets, slots etc. in/on the lake.

You know as well as I do that the musky boom is 95% responsible for the walleye population [near] extermination.

That's a troll post, right? You can't possibly be that ignorant.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:05 pm

deet wrote:

No. It's the Indians fault!!! Netting all those medium sized males!
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”