get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Re: Pike Spearing Returns To Mille Lacs

Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:06 pm

lanyard wrote:Isn't the presence of muskies typically the reason spearing isn't allowed?

And if we're not spearing muskies, won't their population respond to take advantage of the increased bio availability for carrying capacity?

Carrying capacity, interesting question.

I have no issue with muskies, smallmouth or pike. They have a place in the lake just like the walleye. When you look at the lake as a whole and try to manage it as a whole, the lakes main draw fishermen hour wise, is a no brainer. The amount of man hours spent on this lake for muskies, trophy pike and smallies is a laughable drop in the turd bucket, compared to the pursuit of boots swimming around the bottom grabbing leeches on lindy's and under corks.

I like to fish smallies and haven't kept one in 20+ years. The idea that keeping smallies or pike is going to restore the lake is even funnier than the muskie or smallmouth guys that regularly fish the lake really thinking they have a say in how the lake is going to be managed in the future vs the walleye guys.

To argue spearing is going to kill the lake as a trophy pike fishery is ironic, considering the gigantic amount of fishing pressure the trophy pike get in the lake? Walleye guys don't like the pike and neither do the smallie or muskie guys, ironic. And let's face it, there's no pike association like BASS or Muskies Inc, so good luck protecting the lake from spearing. I'd bet there's more carp taken out of a lake and it does a lake as big as mille lacs better to have guys out sticking pitch forks into a few carp, than it does any harm to a pike population that nobody really cares about anyways. Peoples own pike management has been so piss poor over the years, it is amazing they aren't considered a rough fish anyways. Lets face it, if it wasn't for muskie guys wetting themselves over a stray red fin getting stuck with a spear, they could care less what happens to any fish other than their holy grail all mighty muskellunge.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:24 pm

Musky guys typically are the biggest douches in the outdoors world.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:43 pm

get-n-birdy wrote:
lanyard wrote:Isn't the presence of muskies typically the reason spearing isn't allowed?

And if we're not spearing muskies, won't their population respond to take advantage of the increased bio availability for carrying capacity?

Carrying capacity, interesting question.

I have no issue with muskies, smallmouth or pike. They have a place in the lake just like the walleye. When you look at the lake as a whole and try to manage it as a whole, the lakes main draw fishermen hour wise, is a no brainer. The amount of man hours spent on this lake for muskies, trophy pike and smallies is a laughable drop in the turd bucket, compared to the pursuit of boots swimming around the bottom grabbing leeches on lindy's and under corks.

I like to fish smallies and haven't kept one in 20+ years. The idea that keeping smallies or pike is going to restore the lake is even funnier than the muskie or smallmouth guys that regularly fish the lake really thinking they have a say in how the lake is going to be managed in the future vs the walleye guys.

To argue spearing is going to kill the lake as a trophy pike fishery is ironic, considering the gigantic amount of fishing pressure the trophy pike get in the lake? Walleye guys don't like the pike and neither do the smallie or muskie guys, ironic. And let's face it, there's no pike association like BASS or Muskies Inc, so good luck protecting the lake from spearing. I'd bet there's more carp taken out of a lake and it does a lake as big as mille lacs better to have guys out sticking pitch forks into a few carp, than it does any harm to a pike population that nobody really cares about anyways. Peoples own pike management has been so piss poor over the years, it is amazing they aren't considered a rough fish anyways. Lets face it, if it wasn't for muskie guys wetting themselves over a stray red fin getting stuck with a spear, they could care less what happens to any fish other than their holy grail all mighty muskellunge.

You really ought to check your facts before vomiting all over this thread with you thoughts and feelings.

deet
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:11 pm

Nershi wrote:
deet wrote:
Nershi wrote:...A walleye population that has cycled up and down for decades regardless of the amount of pike, bass, nets, slots etc. in/on the lake.

You know as well as I do that the musky boom is 95% responsible for the walleye population [near] extermination.

That's a troll post, right? You can't possibly be that ignorant.

Yes, totally. Figured you'd just laugh it off.

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:17 pm

Nershi wrote:You really ought to check your facts before vomiting all over this thread with you thoughts and feelings.

Please enlighten me where my vomiting thoughts and feelings are so far off of the "facts"?

I like to learn new stuff and you seem like you have might some good insight into this subject and I'd really like to hear what your opinion of the factual data is on it.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

Big Doe Hunter
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:15 pm

Don't be a boat biologist, kill every Pike you catch when fishing.
get-n-birdy wrote:Remember, just because it's not legal doesn't mean you can't do it, there's just a fee if you get caught.

Bustin Lips
Coot Commander

Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:56 pm

There shouldn't be a limit on Pike
Kids are like farts, the only ones you can stand are your own!

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:48 pm

Trigger wrote:Musky guys typically are the biggest douches in the outdoors world.

Nah, QDM guys are.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:09 pm

Drunk_Dynasty wrote:
Trigger wrote:Musky guys typically are the biggest douches in the outdoors world.

Nah, QDM guys are.

Only if Bob Meshikomer and Joe Bucher are also QDM guys also.....

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:25 pm

Drunk_Dynasty wrote:

Nah, QDM guys are.

haha true... I'de call them 1A and 1B.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”