OTCKid
I'll Swat Your Decoys

Re: DNR wants to know what anglers think about....

Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:14 pm

Fish cakes are good eats. Here's a recipe I use:
Ingredients
11⁄2 lbs. fresh fish filets
11⁄4 c. mashed, cooked potatoes
2 eggs, beaten
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. fresh pepper
1 bunch green onions, minced
1/4 tsp. ground cardamom
11⁄2 tsp. grated orange peel
1 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
flour or cornmeal for rolling cakes
4 tbsp. vegetable oil

• Grind the fish in a food processor or grinder.

• Cook and mash potatoes. Set aside and cool.

• In a bowl, mix together all remaining ingredients except vegetable oil. Add fish and potatoes to mixture, shape into 2-inch patties, and dust the patties in flour or cornmeal.

• Heat vegetable oil in a sauté pan until hot. Sauté cakes until golden brown on both sides. They should be firm but not overcooked—about 3 minutes on each side.

Horseradish-Sour Cream Sauce
3/4 c. sour cream or yogurt
11⁄2 tsp. Dijon mustard
2 tbsp. freshly grated horseradish (or 1 tbsp. prepared ­horseradish)
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. chopped fresh dill (optional)
1/4 c. milk

• Combine all the ingredients and mix well.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:30 pm

How much feesh?

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:51 pm

StuStiltman wrote:About the frozen extras, how do they taste after being reheated in the oven?

Just like a store bought fish stick. The fry daddy is the key. Even though you're deep frying them they end up being less greasy. I always run mine at the highest heat setting and cook for five minutes. Anything longer and the meat actually gets dry since most of the moisture is being removed. I give them a couple shakes after pulling the basket up and then throw on a paper towel covered plate. That's it. I don't think you could get the same results pan frying...they always end up more greasy and soggy to where I don't think they'd be very good frozen and reheated.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:36 am

What this means to a majority of anglers - the pike limit is now two over 26. A majority of fisherman are not going to keep pike under 22 inches unless they understand the benefits.

The dnr should be explaining the science of why small pike are bad for the fisheries and why large to trophy size pike are good for the fishery. A lot of people think they're helping their lake when they kill a large pike. The same people wonder why their panfish never get big and why so few of the walleyes that are stocked make it to adulthood. If people understood the science behind it, these regs would probably work a lot better because people would realize they're helping 'their' species of fish by protecting big pike and other large predators.

The dark house association is strongly against this so it'll be interesting if they can get it passed.

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:41 am

Quick way to get rid of those pike is for lake associations to provide the lake shore home owners with more information about it. Then implement a program that allows the pike to be used for garden fertilizer, with drop off sites at public accesses. I'd keep those small pike all day long and twice on Sundays, if I didn't have to touch them, other than throwing them in a bucket. Then digging a hole and dumping them in my garden.

Most people aren't going to go through the work of grinding them into fish sticks or patties. I'm sure they are good and all, but most people want to fillet a big crappie or walleye and be done with it. Not go through the work of processing 40 dozen 20" pike.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:33 pm

I will "keep" them and bury them behind the cabin. Two guys can go cast spinners on our lake and boat 10-30 handles in an hour, with that many follows as well. Its fun I love casting but that's a ridiculous amount of hammer handles

Big Doe Hunter
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:24 am

Bustin Lips wrote:^^^ I 100% agree with everything you said. As far as I'm concerned, there is no limit on "hammer handles". I didn't name my boat "feeding the eagles" for nothing. :shock:

I'm with this guy. :ugeek:
get-n-birdy wrote:Remember, just because it's not legal doesn't mean you can't do it, there's just a fee if you get caught.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”