D.T. Hammer
Mergie Marauder

Do you have a diving dog?

Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:40 am

One of ours does and can go down 6 foot for a golf ball. Or rock.

I was told it can lead to ear infections and not having any money for vet bills we stopped it.

It is just crazy to see them actually dive down under the water and be gone for like 30 seconds looking for the ball.
Buckthorn removal is easy with the buckthorn baggie :-)

bow-fishhunter
Mergie Marauder

Re: Do you have a diving dog?

Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:37 pm

I've heard about it but I've never seen it before...
If a man speaks in the forest and there no woman is around to hear him... is he still wrong???

Labguy23
Coot Commander

Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:51 pm

Mine will dive for a duck but not 6ft deep. The deepest I have seen is about 2 feet deep.
Conservation:Hunt with a trained retriever.

www.threeriversretrievers.com

D.T. Hammer
Mergie Marauder

Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:56 pm

Skip ahead to the last 20 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sND4331aTC8

Labguy23
Coot Commander

Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:15 pm

That's cool.

Never had my dogs in any water that they could see that far down.
Conservation:Hunt with a trained retriever.

www.threeriversretrievers.com

WALKER
Mergie Marauder

Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:39 am

Nice video Hammer

I've never seen anything like that

D.T. Hammer
Mergie Marauder

Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:18 am

now for the crazy crazy part and I would expect no one not one person to believe this until they see it.

Dogs can smell under water. I have used rocks for this diving and when the lake is a bit murky and the dog can come up with the exact rock I through in they must be able to smell under water some how.

I will never forget throwing in a triangular rock about 3 inches across at a guys cabin in WI. There were about 10 people watching the dog dive for stuff. It keep coming back with the same rock. Well I tossed that rock way out there when we were done so the dog would quit bugging us to retrieve. 10 minutes later she shows up with the exact rock I tossed way out in the lake. Everyone stood in dis-belief, myself included.

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:07 am

D.T. Hammer wrote:now for the crazy crazy part and I would expect no one not one person to believe this until they see it.

Dogs can smell under water. I have used rocks for this diving and when the lake is a bit murky and the dog can come up with the exact rock I through in they must be able to smell under water some how.

I will never forget throwing in a triangular rock about 3 inches across at a guys cabin in WI. There were about 10 people watching the dog dive for stuff. It keep coming back with the same rock. Well I tossed that rock way out there when we were done so the dog would quit bugging us to retrieve. 10 minutes later she shows up with the exact rock I tossed way out in the lake. Everyone stood in dis-belief, myself included.

So does this dog have gills for this under water smelling? I mean it would have to entail breathing under water..

W

D.T. Hammer
Mergie Marauder

Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:41 am

dwendt wrote:
D.T. Hammer wrote:now for the crazy crazy part and I would expect no one not one person to believe this until they see it.

So does this dog have gills for this under water smelling? I mean it would have to entail breathing under water..

W

No the dog does not have gills and I have no idea how it could smell under water.

Why would it have to entail breathing under water to smell?

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:55 am

D.T. Hammer wrote:
dwendt wrote:

W

No the dog does not have gills and I have no idea how it could smell under water.

Why would it have to entail breathing under water to smell?

Well when I smell something I'm breathing in not holding my breath, now I'm not an expert in animals or dogs but I imagine they smell the same way but at a much better level than us obviously. So the only way I see it could be is maybe the rock was extremely potent and the dog was able to mark where it went in get in the area where it landed and then could smell it from above water and was able to pick it out by bringing a rock up one by one and seeing how it smelled..

W

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”