Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Re: Splits

Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:40 pm

lanyard wrote:The splits are divided poorly.. It should be adjusted to a North Zone (North of 210 or 212), a South (South of 210 or 212), and a SE Zone (South of I-94 and East of Hwy 52). South of 212 can be decent at Thanksgiving and if the 5 days gets us to that, great. But 10+ makes zero sense.

Taking 5 days from during the week doesn't hurt much. Can tell you from experience though, some of the best hunts I've had were this weekend......

The other option, just create a SE zone and leave the rest of the state alone.

I would have zero problems with the last option.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: Splits

Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:49 pm

Trigger wrote:[quote="lanyard"]The splits are divided poorly.. It should be adjusted to a North Zone (North of 210 or 212), a South (South of 210 or 212), and a SE Zone (South of I-94 and East of Hwy 52). South of 212 can be decent at Thanksgiving and if the 5 days gets us to that, great. But 10+ makes zero sense.

Taking 5 days from during the week doesn't hurt much. Can tell you from experience though, some of the best hunts I've had were this weekend......

I would have zero problems with the last option.[/quote]
Wasn't it going to be that way but the se boys thought everyone was going to come there and hunt their ducks? That's why they did all southern mn so the se boys don't have any comp.

Team Power Dump
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

hobbydog
Mergie Marauder

Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:09 pm

The DNR just gave everyone what they wanted. Here is a link in case you forgot who was all for a split.

http://www.minnesotawaterfowler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6176&hilit=splits

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:15 pm

Hobbydog keeping it real!

You been getting up North? Cranes this year?

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:45 pm

lanyard wrote:The splits are divided poorly.. It should be adjusted to a North Zone (North of 210 or 212), a South (South of 210 or 212), and a SE Zone (South of I-94 and East of Hwy 52). South of 212 can be decent at Thanksgiving and if the 5 days gets us to that, great. But 10+ makes zero sense.

i AGREE 100%.

But their concern is too many hunters will head to the MS river with small SE zone.
Last edited by h2ofwlr on Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:57 pm

If a majority of the southern zone is frozen during the final week or two (which is usually the case) those trying to kill ducks head near the sippi anyway, correct?

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: Splits

Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:28 pm

hobbydog wrote:The DNR just gave everyone what they wanted. Here is a link in case you forgot who was all for a split.

[url]http://www.minnesotawaterfowler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6176&hilit=splits[/url]

Was that when they were talking a river zone?

Plus people are retarded and only remember the odd years when we get a warm fall. Nobody remembers icefishing on thanksgiving for some damn reason or breaking ice on most normal years before the split.

Team Power Dump

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Splits

Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:42 pm

gimpfinger wrote:[quote="hobbydog"]The DNR just gave everyone what they wanted. Here is a link in case you forgot who was all for a split.

[url]http://www.minnesotawaterfowler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6176&hilit=splits[/url]

Was that when they were talking a river zone?

Plus people are retarded and only remember the odd years when we get a warm fall. Nobody remembers icefishing on thanksgiving for some damn reason or breaking ice on most normal years before the split.

Team Power Dump[/quote]
I think the splits are here to stay unless majority public opinion changes.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:17 am

I really couldn't agree any more with Trigger. When I saw a thread titled "splits" I clicked on it assuming it was about how gay splits are. Weird. Not that long ago I would have assumed it was a discussion over their impacts or dates and not their utter lack of merit.

I was as big of a proponent of splits as anyone. I too will admit I was wrong. Hey, it seemed like a good idea, right?

Shutting down duck hunting in MN in early October is just so friggin' retarded. In hindsight I really don't know what the phuck I was thinking. Maybe if the splits were later, like in mid November, they'd seem like a better idea....doubtful though.

The only split I wouldn't be opposed to would be if they took the last two days so they could have a weekend open in mid to late December, since it'd always end on a Tuesday going 60 days straight if I'm not mistaken. That way the late season goose guys can wax a few mallards or guys can get after those big flocks they see feeding in cornfields that 'magically' always show up a day or two after the season closes...that will also 'magically' disappear after a day or two of hunting.
h2ofwlr wrote:But their concern is too many hunters will head to the MS river with small SE zone.

So the rest of the Southern third of the state should lose out on prime hunting time in early October in order to spread out pressure for the approximately 27 guys that hunt the river those last couple weeks?

Yeah, that's totally fair. The guys that live and hunt in the driftless area of the state that's devoid of lakes and wetlands and gets little to no migration in early October get a split at that convenient time. Meanwhile everyone else gets screwed in the South by being shut down during the peak period for migration but the brightside is they still are open a couple weeks after freeze-up!

Change the state back to one zone and run the season straight through. If the SE guys want a river zone with a split to keep them open later then let 'em have it. If they're worried they'll face too much pressure then tough shyte, that's the trade-off. If they don't like it then don't push for a split and run 60 days straight through like the rest of the state.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:30 am

Also for them to have us closed during pheasant opener ( one of my three favorite weekends to duck hunt) and have the season open back up on a weekday is most fk'n retarded thing I've ever seen the dnr do.

Team Power Dump

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”