h2ofwlr
The One And Only

So what weird event/s have you seen while hunting?

Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:19 am

I saw this on another site and had a good laugh. Only 30 seconds long and worth the look. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcHQkArMLME&sns=em

I had Blue Heron sit on the tip of my boat while hunting.
A red Squirrel jump on my shoulder while sitting in a deer stand (now that scarred the crap out of me as I didn't know what hit my shoulder and I was 14' up!)

So it got me thinking, what weird events have you all seen or experienced?
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Re: So what weird event/s have you seen while hunting?

Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:50 am

Sparrow land on end of my shotgun slug hunting years back.
Raccoon climbing my ladder stand and getting to the top step before platform (twice).
Squirrel climb up my leg until it realized I was a person - bowhunting.
Mouse jump on top of my head - bowhunting.
Broken finger from falling goose.
Doe stick her head in my blind while I was in there bowhunting.

Not hunting but was chopping stalks about 5 years ago and had a hen pheasant land on the mirror of the tractor as I was going down the field. That was unreal.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:14 am

I saw Al duck hunting. ;)

I had a white egret land on our blind.
I saw a squirrel swimming accross a big lake.
Had a mouse climb up a cattail by us a long way from hard ground.
I've had red heads and bluebills land in our field spread in cut corn.
I've seen geese land in the tops of 100 ft oak trees.
I've tripped over muskies setting decoys.
I saw an owl taking claws full of shiners off the shore during their run in the spring.
I saw an eagle take a swim because it picked up a bass that was too heavy.
I saw a doe break ice 500 yards accross a swamp because it just got shot at. It took it about an hour. It got to the other side and walked in to my uncles land and he watched a buck have his way with her as she was still trying to catch her breathe. Talk about a rough morning.

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:15 am

Closest thing I had happen I was sitting on the ground at the bottom of a creak deer hunting and I had a little fawn walk with a foot of my stopped right by me and I could of pet her, a couple seconds later she kept walking and she went down in the woods.

Also this year when I was scouting for deer I happened apon a couple toms fighting I got a video of it on my phone but I'm not sure how to upload it using tapatalk

W

THe CRiPPLeR
This Hen's For You

Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:25 am

Heard a dog bark off in the distance behind me one morning duck hunting. It started getting closer and I could hear it running through the woods. Turned around to see a deer jump over the front of my boat into the lake and proceed to swim across it. Scared the Jesus out of me.
AKA HenSlayer
If its brown its down, if it flies it..., well I cripple it

Secure huntings future, introduce someone new to the outdoors.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:19 pm

I can't remember all the stuff thats happened over the years but, last year I shot a fox that was running towards me in the middle of the day with my pistol. I hit it in the jaw as a running fox is hard target with a pistol. Out of ammo I ran to my truck and got my AR and finished it off. The pic wont upload for ssome reason.

Also got our goose decoys setup early one morning about 8 years ago and I could hear something walking in the field behind us. Then I could hear it breathing I looked over my shoulder and there was a coyote sitting in the spread about 15 feet behind me. I shot it and scared the crap out of my buddies because they didnt hear or see it.
6.jpg

Also had eagles steal ducks floating in the spread.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:23 pm

and que the barrel sticker jokes................
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Shu
I'll Swat Your Decoys

Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:28 pm

Had this young bear climb 1/2 way up last year when bow huntingImage

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:10 pm

emptymag wrote:I can't remember all the stuff thats happened over the years but, last year I shot a fox that was running towards me in the middle of the day with my pistol. I hit it in the jaw as a running fox is hard target with a pistol. Out of ammo I ran to my truck and got my AR and finished it off. The pic wont upload for ssome reason.

Also got our goose decoys setup early one morning about 8 years ago and I could hear something walking in the field behind us. Then I could hear it breathing I looked over my shoulder and there was a coyote sitting in the spread about 15 feet behind me. I shot it and scared the crap out of my buddies because they didnt hear or see it.
6.jpg

Also had eagles steal ducks floating in the spread.

Both of your stories remind me of a couple

One year we had a coon on the porch so I had my old man throw him off with a shovel into the yard and I shot him in the eye with the 22 and he still was coming at us finally shot him a couple more times and he died (was obviously sick)

Another time when I was younger we came home late one night to see eyes out in the back yard and we had problems with possums and coons coming and eat cat food and whatnot so my old man opened the garage door and I ran and grabbed the two most solid things I could find (no time for a gun) they just happened to be Croquet clubs and we got a couple possums that night.

W

Bill Gilbertson
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:19 pm

Bowhunting Camp Ripley
We slept in line over night in our vehicle. Or tried to sleep with all the partying and door slamming. I was dead tired on stand. This was before we used safety harnesses. I had to get out of the stand before I fell asleep. I still hunted for a while, but got really tired and laid down next to a log for a nap. I later open my eyes and see a buck ten feet away. He walks toward me and steps over the log and me. He was close enough, I could have grabbed him by the nuts. He then goes about ten feet away and is staring at me. I can't move of course.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”