Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Re: Hen Houses

Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:07 pm

Fowler, How many ducks would 100,000 structures add to the fall flight? If 80,000 are used. 10 eggs each, 800,000 ducklings, 50% survival rate gives you 400,000 more ducks. That's .08% added to the population with impossible succes rates.... yeah, thats a difference maker. Just saying.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:25 pm

Nershi wrote: Bottom line is hen houses are not a practical way to increase duck production in the long run. It's only benefit is making people feel warm and fuzzy after putting them up.

My warm and fuzzies are called the 300+ ducklings that have hatched each year from the MHNs that I have out. :D
Last edited by h2ofwlr on Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

prairie hunter
Coot Commander

Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:28 am

They are called feel good projects. I have done them and it did feel good.

Weather and habitat (much of it weather/climate influenced) are the primary driving forces to a good fall flight.

Most ducks still hatch and flight from traditional wetland areas. DU may make a small measurable impact under severe drought conditions, but in most years especially during these wet, liberal times ... have minimal if any measurable input to the fall flight.

Predator control works when the predators are intensely trapped in the SPRING otherwise the predators simple backfill into these areas because their food sources are plentiful. Most traditional fall and winter trapping and winter coyote hunting is done on a sustainable basis. You are killing (harvesting) the part of the populations that would have died (traffic, starvation, disease) anyways... compensatory mortality. Again - only intense spring trapping puts you into the additive mortality category on predators. This is verified in Delta, USF&WS, USGS supported research publications.

Ag programs and the USF&WS push on private land easements have some measurable impact especially if you believe without them that those areas would be intensively farmed or worse yet - drain tiled and permanently lost.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:28 am

Trigger wrote:Fowler, How many ducks would 100,000 structures add to the fall flight? If 80,000 are used. 10 eggs each, 800,000 ducklings, 50% survival rate gives you 400,000 more ducks. That's .08% added to the population with impossible succes rates.... yeah, thats a difference maker. Just saying.

Well as usual you numbers are off, which is no surprise really....

800k eggs with 30% to fledged stage = 240K I wish that they did achieve 50%!
At current Mallard pop that 240K is about 2%, not .08%. And if LTA pop is used it is about 3% added to their population.

2015 Mallard Numbers
2015: 11.643 million. +7% change from last year
2014: 10.900 million
Mallard are +51% over the long term average.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:22 pm

They are feel good projects for the most part. But if it makes a dude feel good, gives them something to do for a hobby and possibly gets any interest from some kids, it's a cumulative plus, when combined with other projects. Yeah it's a drop in the bucket, but it's at least something positive. If a guy has the time, ambition and funds to finance it, more power to them. At least they are making an attempt to do something and it could lead people into doing other stuff to help increase the population, all be it nothing monumentally game changing, it's still something.

Micro managing is about all waterfowlers are left with anyways. To do anything on even a small scale, considering the habitat challenges, is a plus. Again, granted it's small peanuts, it's something a guy can do for a hobby vs sitting on the couch or in front of a screen bitching about how apathetic everything is.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:05 pm

Hen deathboxes are great! If every duckhunter put out ten...we'd have hundreds more ducks every fall. Keep up the good work!
Dominate The Skies.

lumbertick
Mergie Marauder

Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:08 am

My problem with "feel good" projects are that they fuel complacency. It makes most participants feel like they are doing enough. I have been at few of the "death box" building activities and never once was the fact stated that the project is a good start but much more needs to be done in the form of permanent habitat restoration. In fact I'll bet that of all the boxes that get built...few ever get hung up and even fewer maintained. I always left feeling that it was just a waste of good lumber.

lt

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:11 pm

Bullet21XD wrote:Hen deathboxes are great! If every duckhunter put out ten...we'd have hundreds more ducks every fall. Keep up the good work!

Hawks and eagles need to eat too.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:33 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:
Trigger wrote:Fowler, How many ducks would 100,000 structures add to the fall flight? If 80,000 are used. 10 eggs each, 800,000 ducklings, 50% survival rate gives you 400,000 more ducks. That's .08% added to the population with impossible succes rates.... yeah, thats a difference maker. Just saying.

Well as usual you numbers are off, which is no surprise really....

800k eggs with 30% to fledged stage = 240K I wish that they did achieve 50%!
At current Mallard pop that 240K is about 2%, not .08%. And if LTA pop is used it is about 3% added to their population.

2015 Mallard Numbers
2015: 11.643 million. +7% change from last year
2014: 10.900 million
Mallard are +51% over the long term average.

50% was used for ease and to show that even impossibly high numbers still make no impact. Which you just proved for me, by correcting me. Thanks.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:37 pm

lumbertick wrote:My problem with "feel good" projects are that they fuel complacency. It makes most participants feel like they are doing enough. I have been at few of the "death box" building activities and never once was the fact stated that the project is a good start but much more needs to be done in the form of permanent habitat restoration. In fact I'll bet that of all the boxes that get built...few ever get hung up and even fewer maintained. I always left feeling that it was just a waste of good lumber.

lt

I agree. And it's a waste of good time that could be used for something else. If a guy wants to throw a hen house in the backyard pond, sweet. If a guy wants to litter with a bunch of eye sores in every pothole along hwy 212, fine, whatever. Just don't lie to everyone, especially to kids, that these are making a difference. Teach them what these actually are, toys, not tools in waterfowl management.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”