By MWA
Minnesota Waterfowl Symposium

“Dedicated to Harvey Nelson”

Ramada Mall of America

Bloomington, MN

Saturday, February 6, 2016

DRAFT Agenda- Subject to Change

8:30 a.m. Conference Room and Information Desk Open

Morning Session – 9:00 A.M. to 11:30 P.M.

Moderator: Brad Nylin, MWA

9:00 – 9:30 Welcome and Opening Remarks

Tom Cooper, Chief, Midwest Region Migratory Bird Program, USFWS Paul Telander, Chief, Wildlife Section, MN DNR

9:30 – 10:00 Migratory Bird Treaty Centennial: A Century of Conservation! – Tom Will, USFWS

Q & A

10:00 – 10:30 Introduction to Open Water Hunting in Minnesota – Joel Huener, MNDNR

Q & A

10:30-10:45 Break

10:45 – 11:15 Surveillance for Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza in Minnesota Wild Birds in 2015 – Chris Jennelle, MN DNR

Q & A

11:15 – 11:30 Introduction to the Minnesota Decoy Collectors Association Show

11:30 – 1:00 Lunch on your own & opportunity to visit MN Decoy Collectors Association Show (food available in upstairs lobby and at local restaurants)

Afternoon Session – 1:00 P.M. to 5:00 P.M.

Moderator: Sean Kelly, USFWS

1:00 – 1:30 Trumpeter Swans in MN: A Conservation Success Story – Christine Herwig, MN DNR

Q & A

1:30 – 2:00 Harvest of Canada Geese in Minnesota: Examination of Band and Recovery Data – Bruce Davis, MN DNR

Q & A

2:00 – 2:30 Status of Wetland Quality in MN – Michael Bourdaghs - MNPCA

Q & A

2:30 – 2:45 Break

Moderator: Ricky Lien, MN DNR

2:45 – 3:15 Results of MN Waterfowl Hunter Survey – Steve Cordts, MN DNR

Q & A

3:15 – 3:45 Views from Minnesota DNR Law Enforcement, Col. Rodmen Smith, MN DNR

Q & A

3:45 – 4:15 Question and Answer Session with DNR Commissioner Tom Landwehr

4:15 – 5:00 Visit Demonstration and Information Booths
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Re: 2016 Waterfowl Symposium Agenda By MWA This Saturday 2-6-16

Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:29 pm

Be there if you want to stand up to the status quo and make a difference.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:19 am

It is usually a very informative program and worth the time to sit through a presentation or two. I bet the results of the Waterfowl Survey will be of interest.

The decoy collections alone are worth the trip there.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

Goldfish
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: 2016 Waterfowl Symposium Agenda By MWA This Saturday 2-6-16

Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:22 pm

cstemig wrote:It is usually a very informative program and worth the time to sit through a presentation or two. I bet the results of the Waterfowl Survey will be of interest.

Any of you guys ever get the survey? Or is that not taking about the one they send out in the mail?

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:17 pm

Fish Felon wrote:Be there if you want to stand up to the status quo and make a difference.

FF~

I can't be there, I have people things to do. But a couple points I'd be interested in learning:

1) Is MN biology better than the USFWS biology? The stats, counting methods, etc.? Is there like a hierarchy, where USFWS biology is like the Ford Explorer and MN biology is like the Lincoln Navigator?

2) If the biology "rule" (see DAs article about more scientists making decisions) stands for water fowling, in the public's eye it should also stand for big game, fish, etc. So, why can't we have a teal season when biology says we can, but DA can go walleye fishing on Mille Lacs when biology says we can't?

3) In many cases, recovery of populations is increased when controlled hunting is allowed after a population gets to a critical mass. Now that native americans get a season, do they anticipate a lottery for Trumpeter Swans? How about Sandhill cranes in the whole state?

4) Personal Restraint has been a part of the Land Ethic since Leopold sat on his porch counting bird chirps at sunrise. Is it the position of the MWA and/or DNR/USFWS/etc. that restraint be regulated to lower time afield/pressure on birds/total harvest/incidental harvest/etc, if the biology indicates the population can support increased hunting opportunities based on hunter numbers/hours/etc.

Have fun, wish I could be there.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Re: RE: Re: 2016 Waterfowl Symposium Agenda By MWA This Saturday 2-6-16

Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:29 pm

Goldfish wrote:
cstemig wrote:It is usually a very informative program and worth the time to sit through a presentation or two. I bet the results of the Waterfowl Survey will be of interest.

Any of you guys ever get the survey? Or is that not taking about the one they send out in the mail?

As I recall 1 or 2 guys mentioned last summer that they got it. 3600 were mailed out a bit over a year ago. Only 1/2 were mailed back, there were 3 follow up prompting you to return it letters if you received the survey.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:25 pm

I got one of the surveys. I mailed mine back.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”