HnkrCrash
Mergie Marauder

Re: 2016 Gear Thread!

Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:15 am

^^^^^
ServPro Bangkok?
"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people."
- Ron Swanson

HnkrCrash
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:17 am

My dirtball cousin and her child molester husband have Duck Commander everything. Fairly certain neither of them have ever duck hunted, but he was wearing a camo Browning Dirty Bird hat along with his button up Jack Daniels shirt the last time I saw him...at a wedding.

Gotta hand it to the Robertsons, they sure know how to siphone money away from Natty Ice, Hanes wife beaters and lot rent to go towards their crap.
"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people."
- Ron Swanson

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:31 am

^^^^^ That.

A guy I know has a cell phone repair business.... direct quote, " I don't get it, people will fix their cell phones before they feed their kids."

Same group that smoke's in the house with the kids around and is "waiting for a manager position" before they accept a job.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:54 pm

Here the real start to the 2016 gear....

Refurbs of Herter's 72 bluebills.

12 will become Cans with Autumn Wings heads.

6 will go Golden Eye

Rest back to blue bills.

I redid a dozen last year as red heads.

Converting an old fiberglass canoe into a sport boat, but finding time for the second half of it before season gets here does not look promising.

I went be growing a beard or adding Duck Dynasty to the gear this year....
Attachments
IMG_20160820_182830873_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160906_183358699.jpg

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:30 pm

Nice work, always love doing projects like that

StuStiltman
Mergie Marauder

Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:23 pm

lanyard wrote:Here the real start to the 2016 gear....

Refurbs of Herter's 72 bluebills.

12 will become Cans with Autumn Wings heads.

6 will go Golden Eye

Rest back to blue bills.

I redid a dozen last year as red heads.

Converting an old fiberglass canoe into a sport boat, but finding time for the second half of it before season gets here does not look promising.

I went be growing a beard or adding Duck Dynasty to the gear this year....

About the refurbs 72s, are those old herters with the paint stripped off or new blanks from one of those guys on the internet who have original/pirated molds? The reason I ask is because as viewed thru my cell they look new.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:27 pm

Stu,

They are Original Herter's 72.

They were completely beat to hell. I think they got left in the bag, in the boat, outside..... for years. Very pitted, dented, etc. The heads were all stuck on the bolts, they were a reck.

I first sanded them. Then I used AcrylPro tile mastic to smooth fill the dents and smooth the dings. Sanded them again.

I used a product that stage designers use to make foam look like rocks called Exterior Foam Coat: https://hotwirefoamfactory.com/Foam-Coat-Foam-Glue-Foam/ I mixed this (it's like a grout) with Kilz Oil Base and coated the decoys. It has formed a hard shell, but I'm concerned it might be a bit brittle.

After it cured for 7 days I put a second coat of Kilz on them with no stuff mixed in.

I'll use Rustoleum Flat Enamel black/white to paint the decoys. Challenge right now is I'm getting crushed at work and finding even an hour to get painting done is damned near impossible.

Since these will be "new fleet" I'm not running low on decoys, but would be nice to have them by mid-October for the divers.

The Red Heads I did last year I bur lapped. I hated that.

StuStiltman
Mergie Marauder

Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:49 pm

Thanks for that, I have a dozen and a half herters armored cans that I use, love em. Every so often I run across some old beat down herters divers, might start buying them and trying to restore them.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:11 am

Anyone try krestle costing any decoys? The ones I seen that had that done looked nice and the guy said it had been five years since he did it.

It's something like wood dust or fine cuttings of wood??

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:24 am

I restle coated and put autumn wings heads on a dozen and a half this year. Restle coating is slick but those heads are a B with a capital B.

I tried T-nuts first and they just pulled right out. Then bought threaded inserts off Amazon and they work but not much fun to get seated. Decided to glue them on with PL400 just for added security. I'll post pics later

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”