hobbydog
Mergie Marauder

Re: Post a picture you took in the last week.

Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:45 pm

lanyard wrote:So, flood the river with the same amount of water that would be held by the retention project?

There a logic issue in there somewhere.

Think of it as flushing the toilet and filling the reservoir back up. Most of the water that naturally flows into the WMA comes from Canada. It just gives them their water back quickly and then a week later when all the water from Roseau and Wanaska get there it has a place to go.

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:23 am

hobbydog wrote:[quote="lanyard"]Hobby dog, you hitting your usual spot for duck opener this year? Always one of my favorite posts are your opener pics from the boarder.

The last few years I have been sacrificing the duck opener for an extended canoe trip. Anyone planning on fishing pool 2 or 3 on the RR WMA should call ahead. They are putting a big ditch in to drain that swamp. The road going in wasn't passable all summer until Tuesday...and then it was 4WD at best. The ditch goes from the west end of pool 3 to the Roseau river right by my cabin. The plan (theory) is that if they get a big rain like the one that caused the Roseau flood in 2002, they can dump pool 2 &3 quickly into the river before the water gets there and then use them as reservoirs. Sounds good in theory. The plus for the WMA is they had to do wetland mitigation and they are using the soils to build moist soil management areas on the refuge. If (gigantic IF) they do it right that could be a big win for the WMA. In recent years they have not managed the refuge to hold birds.

Anyhow, they have lots of work to do yet and it will be pretty tore up. This used to be a small one lane track through the woods. It's 100 yards wide now.

[img]http://www.hobbydog.net/pics/upload/ditch/IMG_1658.JPG[/img]
[img]http://www.hobbydog.net/pics/upload/ditch/IMG_1659.JPG[/img][/quote]

I've never hunted that area but just looking at it on google earth is crazy how much it looks like the hydrology has been altered.

hobbydog
Mergie Marauder

Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:49 am

Drunk_Dynasty wrote:
I've never hunted that area but just looking at it on google earth is crazy how much it looks like the hydrology has been altered.

Yep, It started in about 1900 when the RR was a lazy river meandering through a bog. All the cutoffs on the river were made to expedite the drainage. Many big ditches dug to try drain the land. It is pretty amazing to see the old dredge banks in a bog and figure out how they did that over 100 years ago. The pools in the WMA were created during the WPA/CCC days. In the last 20 years with the advent of tiling more water gets dumped into the river faster Most coming from south of Roseau. Thus they keep trying to manipulate it.

The red line is where the big ditch is going in. Pool 2 has spillways into both the river and Pool 3. Pool 3 has a spillway into the river. This is another way to get the water into the river further downstream and faster.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:31 am

The history of that area west of Big Bog up to the boarder is a lesson in the land getting people down. There are signs on the forest roads showing where everything WAS.

Schools - gone
Post Office- gone
Farmsteads- gone

Great area if you get off your 4 wheeler and walk.

tornadochaser
Mergie Marauder

Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:15 pm

Caught this border jumper trying to sneak into my wheat field.

Image.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

kwackkillncrew
Sour Toe Connoisseur

Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:41 pm

2 man limit of cranes and a few suicide specks

Sent while partying
official sour toe member number 52,814

kwackkillncrew
Sour Toe Connoisseur

Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:44 pm

2 man limit of cranes and a few suicide specks

Sent while partying

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:42 pm

Barley, oats or wheat?

kwackkillncrew
Sour Toe Connoisseur

Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:26 pm

Barely

Sent while partying

deet
Mergie Marauder

Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:49 am

DIY Egress Windows
dirt.JPG
dirt.JPG (119.28 KiB) Viewed 4570 times
R.O..JPG
both windows.JPG
both windows.JPG (119.91 KiB) Viewed 4570 times

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”