deet
Mergie Marauder

Re: SBE II

Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:02 am

I know exactly zero people that shoot semi autos without issues.

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:41 am

I have a 10-year old SBEII and had similar issues a few years after I bought it. I replaced the factory recoil spring in the stock with an aftermarket Wolf Magnum Spring ($10.00) and my problems disappeared. Hopefully whoever took your gun apart didn't stop with the receiver assembly and at least looked at your recoil spring. My gun will digest and spit out any shell that it is offered, except for some very light target loads.

The system on an SBEII is very simple with few parts. Unless the extractor ears are bent or worn, replacing your recoil spring should cure your problem. PM me on how to replace it.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

randywatson
Mergie Marauder

Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:56 am

cstemig- did you put in an "extra power" recoil spring?
Women with whiskers.....that's a bummer

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:06 am

I have zero problems with model 11's and A-5's.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

randywatson
Mergie Marauder

Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:08 am

Im queer, I shoot Left handed and jerk off left handed so a SBE was my only choice.
Women with whiskers.....that's a bummer

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:56 am

Thanks for all the responses.

Get N Birdy, Mine is second gen gun. I haven't shot them in awhile but I've never had issues with 3.5's, probably because they have more kick helping to eject the load but I hate shooting 3.5's and they aren't necessary for the range I shoot birds at. I did follow the break in procedure. This is the second new gun giving me issues. This one has been better than the first but getting worse. I'll have someone who knows what they are doing check the ejector pin and clips. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to guns and gun parts.

Bullet, I do notice some sticky spots when pulling back the bolt. Is there a spot you typically need to file or is that dependent on the gun? I notice it sticks when the bolt starts to push up the piece that pushes the new shell up to be injected (no clue what that's called). Is there a possibility I will need to file that part that is connected to the trigger assembly?

Chuck, doesn't the wolf spring have more pressure than the stock spring? If it does wouldn't that make the problem worse?

Thanks for all the info guys. I'll be bringing it in to the gunsmith next week. If I mess with it I'm sure I screw something up and would make it worse.

Deet FWIW my buddy has a first gen SBE and other than a late season hunt when the gun got full of sand he has had zero jamming issues. He is the reason I bought mine but I've always had a bad case of the lemons with expensive stuff.

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:31 am

Just replaced my recoil spring after 20 year's of running the original in a first gen sbe with a sure cycle. Been happy with the up grade.

For some reason my sbe, my kids sbe and my other kids m2 all hate oil. A fine thin layer mainly wiped off is what we do. If ours have residual oil, cycling issue's arise.

That recoil spring and the metal plunger need to be clean. If not it will start to slow the inertia drive down just enough to give them some issues with not throwing the shell out of the action completely. For some reason ours hate anything from Winchesters or Remington's.

Have seen just about every brand auto have issues from all makes and model's. Have even seen pumps jam.

I would guess there's something slowing down and dragging in the action slide guides or a burr or something in the recoil action tube/spring mechanism that's causing issue with the cycling process.

If it was me I would take it to Ahlmands in Morristown where they can fire it and see it cycle and actually diagnosis the issue and fix it. They are a haul for me but they have multiple gunsmiths that will figure it out vs just clean the gun and stare at it.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:03 pm

Nershi wrote:Deet FWIW my buddy has a first gen SBE and other than a late season hunt when the gun got full of sand he has had zero jamming issues. He is the reason I bought mine but I've always had a bad case of the lemons with expensive stuff.

That's what I'm running now without issue. My benelli ownership evolution has gone something like this....

Bought a Gen 1, H&K Super 90 back in the 90's and it never once failed me. Sometime in the early 2000's I sold it to upgrade to a gen 1 (non-H&K) SBE as I thought I needed the 3.5. This gun never failed me either. Once the new SBE2/M2 came out with all the recoil reduction and crio freezing clever marketing got the best of me and I "upgraded". It was a disaster with many of the same issues you are having. Multiple trips back to the store/gunsmith.... one shipment back to benelli and nothing ever got remedied. Eventually after one season I sold it, found a gen1 H&K NIB and have shot it ever since. It is the only shotgun I've ownerd that has literally never had a hang up minus a model 12 pump also. 870's, my A5, etc... have all jammed from time to time, sometimes it's been due to crummy shells, cleaning, etc... This current H&K has seen hell and highwater and still runs like a champ.... If, and that's a big IF, it ever wears out I'll pay triple the cost of a new one for a NIB H&K if I can find another because they're that good.

I'm not an anything fanboy. Unless I'm contractually sponsored/obligated to promote something I won't commit to a "I'm a ford guy" or "I'm a benelli guy" but I do know (not just my experience but many, many of my friends also) the gen2's have had this major flaw since benelli tried to fix what wasn't broke. Some are great, others aren't.... but for $1800 that's a tough pill to swallow. Quickly trying to reminisce I think I've had appx. 15 buddies shoot M2/SBE2's over the past decade. Only 1 of those individuals I can think of still is. If you held a gun to my head and told me to pick a brand new model shotgun off the shelves today, I would have to say (based on everyone's reviews and comments) that beretta has hit a homerun with their unico extreme's and are probably producing the best semi-auto's being made right now. That's a completely unbiased opinion from someone who's learned alot of lesson's the very hard way.

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:12 pm

I bought a brand new Gold Humper 3.5" the first year issued from Gaynder Mtn. I got it for $600 since it was won at a banquet and sold to them but new in box technically making it "used."

Biggest piece of shit I've ever bought. Opener '99 I tried out my floating gun case, also new at the time, by throwing that piece of phucking dog shit as far as I could out into the spread as possible. It hit the water upright and went down like cork after a big walleye nailed the live bait hooked underneath.

Unfortunately it came back up like a pogo stick.

At least the case worked.

I sent that thing back to the browning factory gun smiths twice before bringing it to Ahlman's. The best they had it cycling was the first shell firing, the second shell being chucked out the bottom, the third shell loading to be fired. This was when I was dumb, young, and naive and still doing stupid shit like plugging my gun giving me only three shots and shooting garbage like steel mags instead of cheap lead 2 3/4"s....so I'd only get two shots and lose a third of my shells unless hunting out of a boat or field hunting and frugile (ugly word) enough to search for the 2nd shell each volley.

In short it sucked.

When I picked it up at Ahlman's I was a big enough punk and snotty enough over the whole situation to demand I get to cycle it before leaving. They finally agreed. I shot three shells through it down their little tunnel and was dumb enough (I'd like to think shocked it worked) to have the third 3.5" jump and blow a hole in the plywood outside the tunnel.

I told 'em, "works great guys, thanks a million," and then hurried as hell to get out of there embarrassed as phuck before they noticed.

A year or two later I sold that POS to Gaybela's and got $450 for it which paid for me driving my girlfriend at the time to Minneapolis for an abortion after knocking her up.

It was the best value I've ever got out of selling a gun.

And that is my Ahlman's story. Like 98.5% of my stories it is true.
Last edited by Fish Felon on Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:13 pm

Oh yeah, the point of that story was that the salesman at Gaydner told me to buy the SBE next to the Gold Humper instead...

...it was the only correct thing anyone there has ever told me.

I have often wondered who the poor sucker was that bought that abortion of a scattergun from Cabela's that literally funded an abortion.

As Ben Wade warned many, "that gun is cursed."
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”