Waterfowlist
Mergie Marauder

Re: So what weird event/s have you seen while hunting?

Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:37 pm

Saw a black coyote one year deer hunting. Almost hit two moose scouting in ND one year. I didn't really know they were in the area. Guess its fairly common.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:45 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:Interesting how over the years how your version keeps changing.....

Incorrect. Its always been the same. And will be a story ill tell my kids.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Brose
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:09 am

Shot geese over a goat.
DOA Decoys Pro Staff
Mossy Oak Pro Staff

Brose
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:17 am

This was not me but pretty hard to beat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyMEBNgNZNM
DOA Decoys Pro Staff
Mossy Oak Pro Staff

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:56 am

Brose wrote:This was not me but pretty hard to beat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyMEBNgNZNM

Look at the first post on the topic.

W

lumbertick
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:25 am

One time at band camp....oh wait....that's off topic :D

I was out pheasant hunting and the dog found a crayfish crawling around in middle of some prairie grass...we were at least 500 yards from water. My guess is some critter dropped it's food.

lt

sd_man
Coot Commander

Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:15 pm

While hunting pheasants we were driving around at 7:30 or so one morning. We pulled over to the side of the road to scope out a piece and a doe pops out if the corn at stands in the middle of the road 20 feet in front of the truck. Soon after the biggest buck I have seen in the wild runs out of the corn and starts mounting her. Could have killed them with 8 shot they were so close.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:31 pm

lumbertick wrote:

I was out pheasant hunting and the dog found a crayfish crawling around in middle of some prairie grass...we were at least 500 yards from water. My guess is some critter dropped it's food.

lt

Guess you have never been at lake Benton on a mid summers night. The ground looks like its alive and making a static/white noise sound. Seen them crawling in the gas station parking lot that is quite a few blocks away.
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

shnelson
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:55 pm

I took a few pellets to the back of the head from short range at the start of this years season, guess that's not all that weird though. Just made me start to contemplate eye protection while hunting now.

My most startling event was while ice fishing alone four or five years ago now, too lazy to re-summarize so here's the original:
I decided to start with a new spot this morning, walked about a mile out at dark thirty and got all setup. Dropped the vex in and was graphing fish like crazy, made me forget how tired my legs were!

I threw everything at these fish, I would get some taps but couldn't pull anything up. Finally switched to the lightest jig I had and got them to strike pretty hard. Turns out they were all fingerling perch, which got me excited about the possibility of a walleye. As soon as daylight hit, I popped a hole outside the portable and dropped the camera in for a perfect view of both lines I had down. I had to go outside and re-adjust it several times thanks to the northern that wanted to pick a fight with it.

After finally getting the camera to where I wanted it, the perch came back in since the northern had left. I pulled up a few more fingerlings and had to bait up my jig. As I was doing that, out of the corner of my eye I see my transducer get knocked around by a big object. I brushed it off as me imagining things, maybe the last perch I dropped back hit it on its way down?

I continue on fishing, my camera gets knocked around again by what I thought was a northern, but then air bubbles came up the hole I had a deadstick in, and moments later a furry little critter emerges through my jigging hole and decides he wants to kick me out of my fishing spot! It was a fairly large muskrat, and he didn't like the idea at all that we were in the same confined space! I had rods flying everywhere, transducer wrapped around my leg, minnows knocked all over and the heater sizzling like crazy from all the water splashing around. I finally grabbed the bottom of the tent and ripped it up to get him out of there after we danced around in circles a few times. I'm sure it must have been a site to see, I can only imagine what I looked like going after a muskrat with a minnow scoop - I just about needed a new pair of shorts after that one! I have no idea where the critter came from, I was a few hundred yards from shore and completely alone on the lake. Figured he might have dropped into my camera hole outside but that was locked up with ice/slush and I had a tripod on top so there's no way.

Decided it was time to move after that, never did get my much anticipated walleye bite this morning; but did leave with a rather interesting experience

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:22 pm

Have them come up the holes all the time fishing backwater ponds in the Mn river valley. Just let em do they're thing and they go back down when they are ready. The reason they do that is they use the air bubbles you see under the ice to breathe and your hole looks like an air bubble to them.
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”