9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Re: Stay warm tonight.

Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:53 pm

Hansen wrote:Why?

Wind?

Ice on the power lines and with the strong winds last nite it was creating some problems.......
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:58 pm

Hansen wrote:Why?

Wind?

Wind and ice. Heard there were powerlines getting wrapped up together in some parts.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:44 pm

The way it sounds there was some pretty good light shows out in the country when the lines were wrapping. Guess my cousin came home to a house full of smoke. The t.v.'s were getting alittle warm.
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:51 pm

gimpfinger wrote:The way it sounds there was some pretty good light shows out in the country when the lines were wrapping. Guess my cousin came home to a house full of smoke. The t.v.'s were getting alittle warm.

Why the heck didn't his breakers kick out? Or have them on a surge protector? Tvs aren't cheap!

W

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:14 pm

dwendt wrote:
gimpfinger wrote:The way it sounds there was some pretty good light shows out in the country when the lines were wrapping. Guess my cousin came home to a house full of smoke. The t.v.'s were getting alittle warm.

Why the heck didn't his breakers kick out? Or have them on a surge protector? Tvs aren't cheap!

W

Not the first time I have seen this happen from wrapped lines. An old workplace had it happen and lost all computers and they had all the safety crap hooked up.
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:16 pm

gimpfinger wrote:
dwendt wrote:

W

Not the first time I have seen this happen from wrapped lines. An old workplace had it happen and lost all computers and they had all the safety crap hooked up.

That's odd, maybe it's not considered a surge I guess, don't know I'm no electrician

W

Bill Gilbertson
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:14 pm

I am no electrician either.
A surge protector should protect against over-voltage. We have a whole house surge protector that wires into the breaker box.
What we experienced was frequent under-voltage. I don't think a surge protector does anything in that instance. Under-voltage can damage motorized appliances like refrigerators and freezers especially if they are trying to start the motor and the voltage is low. The motor draws more power when starting. When the voltage is low, it has to draw more amps for the same amount of load. Higher amps cause heat which can burn out your motors.
I don't know what the impact of low varying voltage is on modern computers with switching power supplies. Many of these run on voltages from 90-250 volts without having to set any switches. However, I don't know how well they handle fluctuations. A UPS is the solution here, but I don't have one.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”