h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Gander Mountain lawsuit accuses Cabela's of 'cybersquatting'

Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:00 am

Gander Mountain lawsuit accuses Cabela's of 'cybersquatting'
December 15, 2013
Curated by William Wilcoxen< BMTN
Link to artile which has several supporting links http://www.bringmethenews.com/2013/12/1 ... squatting/

Gander Mountain is honking over the online tactics of its top competitor.

The Pioneer Press reports the St. Paul-based company has filed a lawsuit accusing Cabela’s of cybersquatting. Typing GanderMountainCatalog.com or GanderCatalog.com into a web browser will lead you to Cabela’s home page, the Pioneer Press says. That prompted the lawsuit, in which Gander Mountain claims its rival in the retailing of outdoors gear is deliberately trying to confuse the public and divert Web traffic from Gander.

Cabela’s did not immediately comment to the Pioneer Press. The newspaper reports the companies have a complex history and at one time Cabela’s did own Gander Mountain’s catalog business.

The Wall Street Journal reported last week that both companies have plans to open additional stores in the next couple of years. The Journal says Nebraska-based Cabela’s plans to add 19 more stores to its 50 existing ones over the next two years, while Gander Mountain stood at 116 stores three years ago and plans to reach 140 by next summer.

Like the Journal, Investor Place notes the expansion plans come even as a surge in gun sales seems to have leveled off.

Bad blood between Gander Mountain and Cabela’s is nothing new. In February of this year Cabela’s filed a patent infringement lawsuit against Gander Mountain in U.S. court in St. Paul. Cabela’s claims Gander copied its design of a fold-up cot.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Re: Gander Mountain lawsuit accuses Cabela's of 'cybersquatt

Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:04 am

The patent suit is funny, as Cabela's brands have knocked off Columbia/Browning/etc. for years... but maybe they wore white hats and paid licensing fees.

Likely won't matter if the Gander Catalog is still operated. If Cabela's shows continued ownership of any intellectual property it won't matter much.

Gander is an odd organization that continues to exist due to ego, not financial wherewithal. I vote them most likely be the "Circuit City" of outdoor oriented retailers.

Night Hawk
Coot Commander

Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:56 am

lanyard wrote: I vote them most likely be the "Circuit City" of outdoor oriented retailers.

Agree with your comments landyard...

At the rate they are changing things in the store the "outdoor retailer" might be gone from their descriptions.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:07 am

I have not been in a GM for a couple of years--so what changes? I have noticed them pushing a lot more guns in their advertising.

Frankly (and I said this a couple of years ago) the only reason the GM is still afloat is because that the Holiday Station stores are so profittable. They are owned by the same family, the Ericksons.

I wish Burger Bros did not sell out to the Ericksons. Thank God Cabela's opened a couple of stores in MN. But even they have slipped a couple of notches compared to 10+ year ago in their quality and customer care.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:04 pm

They both suck for the most part, cabelas just sucks a little less then the Gander.

I get my shells from Rodgers and the rest of my stuff I generally get used. I did get some avian X mallards from cabelas as a good deal in September: on sale, coupon and cabelas credit card points.

ducksmuggler
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:39 pm

Just proves what I have been saying for years Cabelas is the Walmart of the outdoor world!!!!
You can bad mouth a mans gun, his shooting, and his women but bad mouth his dog them's fighting words.

Gordon
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:04 pm

ducksmuggler wrote:Just proves what I have been saying for years Cabelas is the Walmart of the outdoor world!!!!

I don't get the comparison. Cabela's isn't inexpensive?

I like Scheel's over both GM and Cabela's.
Craigslist Prostaff

chevyobsession
Coot Commander

Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:09 pm

tola18 wrote:I like Scheel's over both GM and Cabela's.

I second that.

THe CRiPPLeR
This Hen's For You

Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:00 am

h2ofwlr wrote:I have not been in a GM for a couple of years--so what changes? I have noticed them pushing a lot more guns in their advertising.

It would be nice if they had some ammo to go with those guns. Walmart had more steel slection. No organization to it either, its like shopping for ammo at Goodwill.
Waterfowl selection sucks. Can't find 1 hat or facemask in shadow grass, duck blind or max 4.
AKA HenSlayer
If its brown its down, if it flies it..., well I cripple it

Secure huntings future, introduce someone new to the outdoors.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:13 am

At least we still have Sportsmans wareh..., never mind.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”