deet
Mergie Marauder

Re: Price of trucks....

Tue May 08, 2018 7:32 am

Lanyard, I got a 2017 Expedition EL six weeks ago after spending about 6 months going through reports and sales listings for GM and Ford full-size SUVs. The Expedition EL has the most cargo, and since 2015 is powered by the 3.5L EcoBoost. That engine has been on the road in some F150's since 2011, and on car forums you can read many testimonials with guys putting up to 300k miles on them (so far) with mostly very positive synopses.

Ford SUVs run about $10 - 20k less than GMs, and they all hold their value remarkably well. Sucks as a buyer of used, but then it's great if you go to sell it later on. 100k miles, 5 years old, those SUVs still sell for $20-25k.

Averaged 18.5 MPG since I bought it. Mostly it's the wife's grocery getter / kid hauler. 50/50 city vs highway miles. On road trips we get about 21 MPG. 23-24 as you're cruising real time.

Fold all the seats down and you now have flat, covered storage equivalent to an 8' truck box. With all the seats up and occupied you still have about 2.5' behind the third row.

I too have a Fusion as my work commuter. I'll run it to the ground, but that will take a while. 2010 with about 150k miles on it. And now my F150 (2008, 160k miles) can just haul my firewood, boat, and animal carcasses, and should last another 10 years.

I found that the price curve for those SUVs is darn close to
PRICE (at odometer = x) = NEW PRICE * e^(-0.000008*x)

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Tue May 08, 2018 8:07 am

Biggest things on the Ecoboost are do not follow the oil light on the dash...direct injection increases the amount of fuel in the oil and it leads to worn out timing chains. I run full synthetic every 5k miles. Forced induction also likes to chew through plugs and I do mine every 40k miles. There's a variety of sensors to clean as well on the intake manifold and charge pipe so it keeps reading pressures accurately

Duckman23
Mergie Marauder

Tue May 08, 2018 9:28 am

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:Biggest things on the Ecoboost are do not follow the oil light on the dash...direct injection increases the amount of fuel in the oil and it leads to worn out timing chains. I run full synthetic every 5k miles. Forced induction also likes to chew through plugs and I do mine every 40k miles. There's a variety of sensors to clean as well on the intake manifold and charge pipe so it keeps reading pressures accurately

That's good to know. On both new F150 I have had the 5.4 and I never had any issues. Still trying to decide if I go with the ecoboost or the V8. I know guys that have had timing chains replaced already in the 3.5 ecoboost with only 40,000 miles.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”