cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Waterfowl Gear on Craigslist

Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:45 am

It appears to me that there is more stuff for sale this year than previous years. More decoys & duck boats than I can remember. Some sellers seem to be getting out of it all together, others down sizing, and a few changing things around. Good time to buy if you are looking.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Re: Waterfowl Gear on Craigslist

Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:11 am

Seems like everybody is rich now. Probably just buying new stuff!
Dominate The Skies.

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:43 am

gut feeling is alot of people are getting out of it. The guys with 2 dozen decoys and hunt a ccouple weekends a year are either a) selling their stuff and using a buddy that is more serious or b) abandoning all together.

That's my assessment based on the last 10yrs or better of having a pile of fair weather hunting friends get out all together. Most of the guys (even some that were ridiculously gung-ho) I hunted with back in the early 2000's don't waterfowl hunt anymore or if they do it's a "special occasion" type thing. I'm sure there is still alot of pressure in the normal spots and on opening weeekends but I certainly don't see the overall traffic I used to. YMMV....

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:27 am

I think those older guys (60 plus years old) are getting out because they can't physically do it anymore. The mid 40-50's aged guys are as well. Access is the biggest issue and quality of hunting.

I think the DNR and lessard group made a major mistake by not creating hunting/conservation areas like in Missouri. If they created 6/8 conservation areas north to south with a daily blind draw on moist soil impoundments it would help improve hunter satisfaction. In stead they try to rehab mud-holes with water the color of my coffee.

Anyway. I agree most guys are hanging it up, the guys with a boat and 2 dozen mallards and a dozen geese are done.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:22 am

I need to get some filler decoys for the diver spread. The diver spread has taken a beating the last few years. I just looked and there do seem to be a higher than average amount listed for sale.

It is okay with me if more guys hang it up. I know lots of folks who have got out of it and I think I know more ex-duck hunters than current duck hunters now.

Anybody have any experience filling the keels on carrylite's to make them weighted keels? How did it work?

Duckman23
Mergie Marauder

Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:45 am

I would suspect you will only see more gear being sold as the years go. All of us in my main hunting group we are in our 40's now. For me personally I won't quite alltogether. Most people my age have kids and don't have the free time to scout to be successful and going out and seeing a few birds or none at all isn't fun. You also have the people that just like to sell old decoys and get new ones because they think they need them.

hobbydog
Mergie Marauder

Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:56 am

Hansen wrote:I think those older guys (60 plus years old) are getting out because they can't physically do it anymore. The mid 40-50's aged guys are as well. Access is the biggest issue and quality of hunting.

I think the DNR and lessard group made a major mistake by not creating hunting/conservation areas like in Missouri. If they created 6/8 conservation areas north to south with a daily blind draw on moist soil impoundments it would help improve hunter satisfaction. In stead they try to rehab mud-holes with water the color of my coffee.

Anyway. I agree most guys are hanging it up, the guys with a boat and 2 dozen mallards and a dozen geese are done.

Careful who you are calling old. My decoys are not for sale. 8-)

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:37 pm

Nershi wrote:Anybody have any experience filling the keels on carrylite's to make them weighted keels? How did it work?

as poor high school kids we would fill water keels with sand and caulk them shut. Worked well although wouldn't last as long as a factory weighted keel. In our minds back then why would you waste money on weighted keels when you can buy water keels and weight them yourself?

times (and checkbooks) have changed.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:42 pm

^ this
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:06 pm

I can't stay up as late as I used to, had to change tactics: Day Drinking.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”