Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Re: DNR Struggles To Incinerate Deer Carcasses

Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:27 pm

Mallard_maniac wrote:
Fish Felon wrote:What's the point of even asking hunters to pick a permit area when buying a deer license?

It's totally meaningless. It doesn't limit the hunter....by forcing them to hunt in that area.

I'm guessing (could be totally way off) it's to gauge hunter participation per zone

Fish Felon wrote:What dumbass is going to say he shot a deer in a CWD zone and then subject themselves to having to make sure the carcass ends up in a dumpster inside the zone so it gets incinerated?

My fear was the exact opposite. Seeing as how this is the first year ever (to my recollection) that a hunter could legally shoot more than one antlered deer (minus party hunting) my concern was that people would be shooting bucks outside of CWD zones and registering them to be able to keep hunting more bucks. If they're trophy hunting bucks in MN, disposing the carcass in a dumpster is a small task if it means you can shoot (perhaps) 2 more bucks.

But you're right our whitetail management is in the stone ages compared to other states. I truly believe the dnr's hands are tied however as the 1/2 million orange pumpkins have the loudest voice.

Oh, you've been able to shoot unlimited antlerless in the 601 "metro zone" for decades now. There have been countless times different zones have been intensive harvest where you could legally shoot five does, or one buck and four does, or whatever the fukc you want anywhere and everywhere considering party hunting is legal....but back to intensive harvest areas, these units have been scattered all across the state over the past fifteen years.

So you're right in that the reverse of what I say does and will happen....and has been happening for a long time, but why wouldn't anyone just....

....tag an extra doe as a "601 doe?"

I've got a brother with a hobby farm North of Northfield conveniently . Just say you shot hunting with me. ;)
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:47 pm

Fish Felon wrote:Oh, you've been able to shoot unlimited antlerless in the 601 "metro zone" for decades now. There have been countless times different zones have been intensive harvest where you could legally shoot five does, or one buck and four does, or whatever the fukc you want anywhere and everywhere considering party hunting is legal....but back to intensive harvest areas, these units have been scattered all across the state over the past fifteen years.

So you're right in that the reverse of what I say does and will happen....and has been happening for a long time, but why wouldn't anyone just....

....tag an extra doe as a "601 doe?"

I've got a brother with a hobby farm North of Northfield conveniently . Just say you shot hunting with me. ;)

With antlerless deer there is the potential for that, but at the same time if I was hunting in the heart of the CWD area I would genuinely want to know. Not to play devils advocate but there is very little benefit to registering an antlerless deer to a different zone (when the opportunity to shoot multiple is so abundant anyway), while risking your hunting privileges (if caught) all to avoid a relatively painless process over...... a doe. Bucks are another story... people do dumb things to shoot big deer and possibly will to shoot multiple but the risk vs reward isn't there (at least in my eyes) for someone shooting slicks?

ymmv

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:11 pm

Register deer?
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Stute Slap
Mergie Marauder

Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:18 am

emptymag wrote:Register deer?

:shock:

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:28 am

Lol, deer registration is only for people who take them in for processing

hobbydog
Mergie Marauder

Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:02 am

It was originally found in captive cervids in Colorado and captive crevid farms have a high incident rate. There is no test yet for live deerso any urine products sold could scatter all over the country. High concentrations of deer and deer feeding are a big part of the spread.

I wouldn’t eat one. If it takes 5 years to manifest itself in deer, how long might it take in humans? 20 years? As more and more infected deer get consumed it is only a matter of time, maybe 20-30 years down the road before we see it.

I doubt you will see it in wolf country, they will take an infected deer down long before the disease runs its course, also, deer densities are much lower.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”