Quack
Mergie Marauder

Statewide Rifle deer hunting

Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:25 pm

Last line of this week’s Outdoor News Editorial said there is expected to be a push for statewide rifle usage during deer season.

Wonder how long it might take to pass and how much resistance there might be.

I’m not sure if it’s a good idea or not. I generally think most hunters are idiots and I’m not real comfortable with how close to town, etc, rifle and muzzleloader hunters can hunt up here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Re: Statewide Rifle deer hunting

Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:14 pm

If u can't figure out how to have an effective, accurate slug gun, what the he!! Is a rifle going to do for u? Other than shoot at stuff farther away and still miss.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:47 pm

Dead is dead. You can coyote hunt, at night with a rifle. Have zone 601 shotgun only, the rest open to whatever.

Eliminate party hunting, cross tagging and move the season back, I’d be happy.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:21 pm

I do think that a rifle could increase efficiency in lots of the Southwest and west central slug areas, but I’d rather see the no more party hunting, cross tagging, or season dates moved back as well.

Hard to say if it’s much more dangerous, like if a shot is too dangerous with a rifle, it’s probably still too dangerous with a slug gun. Where I hunt, I don’t think I’d really want a traditional deer rifle with the 3-9x scope. Shots generally don’t go past 40 yards and I hunt out of hang ons so I can’t even get a steady ready rest to shoot much further either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:47 am

What's wrong with party hunting? It's how the arse hole in camp pads his deer kill numbers.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:57 am

Lots of other states that were historically shotgun only have gone to straightwalled rifle cartridges. Innovation like 450BM and 350Legend have blurred the lines between conventional straightwall design and standard centerfire. Truth be told I'm not sure that allowing centerfire is any more or less dangerous than slugs but in this instance it would appear that MN is following suit of many other states that have already done this in some form.

emptymag wrote:Eliminate party hunting, cross tagging and move the season back, I’d be happy.

This is just good common sense right here.......

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Statewide Rifle deer hunting

Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:01 am

Would be fun to put together a 450BM upper together if they ever legalize straight walled cartridges just for fun to use but I really dont think straight walled stuff is much of an upgrade from a slug gun. And from what I've read about other cartridges that seemed to be developed specifically to be used in straight wall states like .350 Legend, they ain't really all they say they are. What the fuk do I know tho.

Like do people not realize how fukin dead a deer is that gets hit with a 12 ga slug? They’re dead as sh!t.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:17 am

I’ve heard of quite a few guys using AR pistols in 300blk or 6.5 Grendel. Some even Remington XP’s in 7mm-08 or Thompson contenders. In the slug zone.

Pretty large loop hole there already.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:22 am

I used a .300 BLK AR pistol last two falls. Have not killed a deer with it yet. I won’t say it’s a BETTER choice than a slug but it’s fun to use, and much more enjoyable to shoot year round. For someone that’s recoil averse it’s a great gun. I don’t perceive recoil when I’m hunting, (not to say I still don’t subconsciously flinch), but man I get beat to sh!t zeroing slug gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:06 pm

^^^^ This would be my main defense with allowing centerfire straightwalled calibers. Asking a 10year old to shooting a 300gr slug is setting him/her up for correcting issues down the road.

You're right......Ballistically 350L, 450BM, 45-70, Slugs, ML all are going to be an effective option inside of 200yds and you don't gain a ton over one vs the other.... And it's hard to argue the lethality of a slug. However the new ones coming out on the right platform are much more enjoyable to shoot which equals more confidence which equals more proficient and safe hunters

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”