Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Re: Fishing Opener

Fri May 08, 2020 6:48 am

I have heard dispersed camping is prohibited but haven’t looked in to it myself. Sounds like all camping is prohibited but the hotels, motels and resorts are open. Makes a lot of sense right.

I was referring to the stay at home order and only traveling as far as a tank of gas as far as enforcement. I wouldn’t be so comfortable camping where prohibited. Kinda depends where you are I suppose. The cops I have talked to said they have no plans to enforce any of the orders. Go to a small town where a cops or the people genuinely don’t want outsiders there and you may have an issue trying to camp there.

Where you going for opener felon? Do I need to watch out for flying natty seltzer’s out on Mille lacs? :)

JayRo
Coot Commander

Fri May 08, 2020 8:26 am

There is simply no equity in any of this. "The World's Largest Candy Store" down on 169 can open because they are deemed essential because they sell potatoes and a few other grocery items. Seriously, who goes to a candy store to buy groceries? We can gather in Target, Home Depot etc, but we can't go camping? We can't gather in a gym? Can't get a haircut? Can't eat in a restaurant or stop at the local watering hole for a bump? Can't gather for Sunday morning service? I am not saying I would do all of these things, but I am saying I should have the choice...……...

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Fri May 08, 2020 8:44 am

Quack wrote:Are you guys under the impression that dispersed camping on public land, where normally allowed, is now prohibited?

as of last weekend dispersed camping on state forest land was closed. Guessing usfs followed suit..... called about possibly disperse camping on SF for helping a buddy fill a turkey tag and got a no-go. Doubt it's changed since then...

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Fri May 08, 2020 10:04 pm

The bill of rights came to mind immediately as this stuff started.

In this case and the previous govt budget related shutdowns, the prohibition of the people to use public land has really gotten me hot.

I know it’s probably not a great place to make a stand, but doing individual activities on public land that don’t require a public employee gatekeeper should never be infringed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Tue May 12, 2020 3:09 pm

So how did everyone do?
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Tue May 12, 2020 4:57 pm

You eating fish as you type this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Wed May 13, 2020 8:23 am

h2ofwlr wrote:So how did everyone do?

Caught more fish the weekend before opener, went out at 4:30 Sat morning and fished 5 hours and not a bite, weekend before in the same area we had crappie, walleye, couple pike..........typical opener down here, cold, windy and some rain.................
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Wed May 13, 2020 11:04 am

Been fishing about every other night. So far so good, crappie, bass, pike, caught my first walleye of the season last night.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Wed May 13, 2020 12:21 pm

We went to Mille Lacs and were limited out by 12:01 am. An opener for the books for sure. Caught piles of walleyes. Slip bobbers, trolling cranks and casting cranks all produced. Casting cranks into shallow water and catching walleyes one after another was a lot of fun. Also caught a couple prespawn smallmouth that were pigs.

Went out last night by my house and did okay on walleyes and caught a little muskie too. Heading up to fish some of the big lakes up north with my buddy this weekend before he heads to Alaska. Then I'll likely be done with walleyes until freeze up.

How did you do Al? Can't remember the last time you actually shared a report on here.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Wed May 13, 2020 5:08 pm

Been a long time since I specifically went out targeting walleyes... probably like 13 years. But GF has expressed interest she's never caught one so I think we get a nicer evening we might have to go out to a little lake I might know.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”