Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Tips For Sportsmen You Might Already Know

Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:01 am

This thread will be for things that make you go, "Say, that's a good idea!"

It'll be stuff that you do that someone needs sees it and asks what you're doing, you explain it to them, and it makes so much sense as being the right way to do it....that's the way they'll do it the rest of their life.

Some of you might already know these tips....

....like the water wheel trick for spooling line.

Do you guys know the water wheel trick?
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Re: Tips For Sportsmen You Might Already Know

Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:07 am

The other one right off the top of my head is the gas tip.....where you pump a gallon of premium non-oxygenated gas into your car before pumping it as boat gas at any pump where the line is shared between the different types of gas...

...because otherwise you'll wind up with at least a half gallon of garbage 87 octane with 10% in with your good gas. When burning boat gas?

It'll make a difference.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

lickmyvowels
Mergie Marauder

Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:22 am

When I doubt never pull out.

Sent from my moto g power (XT2041DL) using Tapatalk

lickmyvowels
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Tips For Sportsmen You Might Already Know

Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:25 am

Fish Felon wrote:This thread will be for things that make you go, "Say, that's a good idea!"

It'll be stuff that you do that someone needs sees it and asks what you're doing, you explain it to them, and it makes so much sense as being the right way to do it....that's the way they'll do it the rest of their life.

Some of you might already know these tips....

....like the water wheel trick for spooling line.

Do you guys know the water wheel trick?
Put the spool in warm water when filling you reel. It flips to decrease line twist and the warm line gets a memory of your reel spool so it don't spring off.

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:11 am

Just the tips?
Dominate The Skies.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:58 am

Pro tip of the day. When your motor won’t start at 4 am when in a rush for your hunting spot....check to make sure the kill switch tab is in.

lickmyvowels
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: Tips For Sportsmen You Might Already Know

Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:18 am

Bullet21XD wrote:Just the tips?
But what if the tip and the base are the same?

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:29 am

Fish Felon wrote:The other one right off the top of my head is the gas tip.....where you pump a gallon of premium non-oxygenated gas into your car before pumping it as boat gas at any pump where the line is shared between the different types of gas...

...because otherwise you'll wind up with at least a half gallon of garbage 87 octane with 10% in with your good gas. When burning boat gas?

It'll make a difference.

I don't think this is the case anymore. Granted this isn't exactly from the horses mouth, but from a mostly fire dept perspective... This is one of those "grandpa always did" things that I grew up doing.

A few years ago I was at the lumberjack championships in hayward and was talking to the stihl or husq rep there who was also on his locaal fire dept. Somehow this was mentioned and he quickly & confidently claimed all modern pumps, even those with a shared hose have a back flow to clear the lines of fuel for safety 1st and not getting the wrong gas is just a bi-product. Apparently the old style hoses that didn't do this, especially in southern climates could sit in a (often black) rubber line for hours in the sun and create a definite safety issue swelling, pressurizing, etc.... Makes sense I guess when you think about how quick a small 1 gallon gas can that seals can turn into a pumpkin in the summer.

Granted there's some old stations out there with the analog meters and metal trips that what you're talking about is likely the case but virtually any pump that allows you to pay-at-the-pump will also have modern enough safety features to backflow the fuel into the respective tank and you won't get partiallyt he wrong fuel.

lickmyvowels
Mergie Marauder

Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:19 am

Always keep a fine file or stone with you while fishing.

lickmyvowels
Mergie Marauder

Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:22 am

Always have some tp with in a Ziploc bag while wade fishing.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”