How would you rate the 2021 MN duck season (MN only)

Best ever!
11%
Pretty good
No votes
Average
22%
Pretty bad
56%
Worst ever!
11%

Total votes: 9
hobbydog
Mergie Marauder

Re: Rate the 2012 MN duck season

Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:00 pm

Quack wrote:I haven’t looked very closely yet but the wife is leaning towards a large munsterlander

How would you rate the differences? Did you give any consideration to a large or did you know for sure you wanted a small?

I looked at both. Known people who had both. I am biased but would go with the small. More personable and social, smart. Incredible prey drive but with an off switch inside. If you want a similar but larger German dog I would look at a German Longhair. But I don’t think you can go wrong with either a small or a large Munster.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:07 pm

Thanks. Do you hunt any fur with yours?

I don’t really need a duck dog but I’m guessing it would probably go with us a fair amount.

Primarily looking for a dog that points and retrieves and I would take it out for snowshoe hares quite a bit after deer season I think. Would likely do a lot of grouse and woodcock hunting. Deer tracking as needed.

hobbydog
Mergie Marauder

Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:30 pm

Quack wrote:Thanks. Do you hunt any fur with yours?

I don’t really need a duck dog but I’m guessing it would probably go with us a fair amount.

Primarily looking for a dog that points and retrieves and I would take it out for snowshoe hares quite a bit after deer season I think. Would likely do a lot of grouse and woodcock hunting. Deer tracking as needed.

They love fur….to a fault. The only furbmine get on is squirrels an groundhogs. They keep the groundhog thinned out at the cabin. There are 2 breed clubs. (Very little breeding outside the clubs). Kleiner Munsterlander Club, which goes with the German testing system and The Small Munsterlander Club of America which goes with NAVHDA testing. The German testing has more emphasis on fur and tracking. Check out their web pages.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:59 am

Thanks!

I’m also developing a strong interest in squirrels since I’m currently dogless. Would truly be great to have a dog that could do it all and not be a deterrent.

I took a friend’s lab on a long circuitous walk last weekend and figured there was very little chance we’d see or get a shot at a hare or squirrel.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”