Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Hunting 2024

Sun Aug 25, 2024 6:51 pm

One week and the games begin. What’s everyone’s plans for sept 1st? Teal, geese, doves?

Anyone got any fall trips planned for birds or big game?

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Re: Hunting 2024

Mon Aug 26, 2024 10:54 am

Church Sunday....I'll be out Monday (likely for geese but could be swayed to shoot teal) and then the rest of the teal season....

I had a season last year that is infathomable to top both for big game and greenheads. We'll see tho

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 27, 2024 5:42 am

Teal opener is my new favorite day of the year. I will also be scouting/training on sharptails this weekend. Going to Sask in two weeks… once that license is in my pocket I’ll be thinking about a second trip but that’s probably not realistic this year.

Number one priority is getting my dog steady on upland birds or I’ll be looking at 10 years of disappointment.

Building an enclosed stand to help with taking my daughter(s) deer hunting.

I’m pretty bummed about duck season closing before thanksgiving but maybe I’ll go back to the prairie for upland that weekend.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 27, 2024 4:48 pm

Sask for upland, fowl, both?

How is training going so far with the bearded little beast?

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Wed Aug 28, 2024 9:30 pm

Maybe WY for antelope, I messed up on the tag I put in for. Private land only.

Totally forgot the deadline for Manitoba duck license and everyone else drew a tag.

Got my bow out and it’s a mess. New string just shipped. Bow shops are about 2 weeks out but I found a local guy.

Only have one stand up, and only 2 of my 4 cameras are working.

I’ve done zero scouting for teal with all the kids stuff going on.

Needles to say, this year is off to a great start….mostly my fault for getting ready kinda last minute.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Wed Aug 28, 2024 11:40 pm

Nershi wrote:Sask for upland, fowl, both?

How is training going so far with the bearded little beast?

Primarily a Canada goose hunt but hopefully we get ducks too. No upland on this one but maybe in the future. Dog will be continuing his education in North Dakota on sharptails while we are hunting honkers.

Training has been interesting. Dog is very smart and I’m not, several humans influencing the dog.

I think we’ll get him steady this year but he has had too much “free” running in the woods and “our” pendulum has swung a lot further to “family dog” than “working dog” for my taste, but such is life with a family… if he doesn’t make it to my standards I won’t be surprised but if we really do get there it will be a testament to my resilience and his genetics. He certainly has the ability and I think he will eventually be a good hunter but my methods would have been easier and faster. He’s an amazingly smart dog and does a lot in the realm of “pet” and “therapy” but that isn’t exactly what I had in mind. Hopefully we can get him where I want him on hunting.

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Fri Aug 30, 2024 12:07 pm

I'm finding myself only moderately excited for hunting this fall. I'd honestly rather be chopping down forests and burning them at this point in my life.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

kwackkillncrew
Sour Toe Connoisseur

Fri Aug 30, 2024 12:29 pm

Might do some duck hunting, we will see. would like to get out for sea ducks atleast once though. Headed to kodiak early november for deer, probably bring a shot gun because last time we had hundreds of ducks of all kinds within 20 yards of our tent, and they never get hunted, atleast in that area. Side note, anyone ever have any experience with duck tollers? we are getting one from forest lake and i want to make sure we train it correctly. Mostly for obedience, and i will do some gun dog training with it, hopefully enough to do some grouse/ptarmigan hunting with it. Theres another guy up here getting a toller from the same litter and his dog is going to be trained for search and rescue up here which is pretty sweet.
official sour toe member number 52,814

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Sat Aug 31, 2024 12:55 pm

no exp w/ tollers but arent ptarmigan up there killable by stepping ont hem?

kwackkillncrew
Sour Toe Connoisseur

Sat Aug 31, 2024 6:04 pm

Ptarmigan hunting is pretty fun and I compare them to grouse for being "dumb" they typically make alot of noise so they are easy to find, but if they are quiet it's tough to find a white bird in snow.

Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk
official sour toe member number 52,814

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”