Bill Gilbertson
Mergie Marauder

Smokers

Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:13 am

Who has a smoker? Do you actually use it, or does it just gather dust in the corner? Electric or Propane or charcoal? What do you recommend?

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: Smokers

Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:25 am

Had an electric one for a few years. Worked good smoking trout, duck and deer till I forgot it outside one winter and the bottom rusted out.

My buddy now has one of those fancy ones that you put the wood hockey pucks in a feeder and it runs smoke the whole time it's on. That one works real good. But for any smoker it's all about the brine.
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:08 pm

I had an electric Masterbuilt for quite a few years, worked good until the wiring started burning the ends off inside the unit, fixed it a couple times and now lays in my junk wagon behind shop, it did work really good when it worked, smoked pork butts, brisket, ribs, fish, chicken's, it's kinda a disease when you start smoking food, you do it all the time, but when it quit working I kinda quit....

I now purchased a Masterbuilt gas smoker, alot bigger unit and it works really good as well, the only downfall of the gas is getting the temp low enough to smoke bacon, I have to do alittle modification to get the heat low enough, but I don't smoke as much food today as I did 5 years ago, but it is fun.....
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:14 pm

I bought a Masterbuilt sportsman elite electric about 3 weeks ago, $159. Works great! I did quite a bit of research and for me electric appeared the way to go. Easier to control temp. Feel safer walking away from it. I made a brisket first weekend with it it was awesome. Did ribs last weekend they were amazing. Have a wild turkey breast brining right now, gonna wrap in bacon and throw it on tomorrow morning. After that is gonna be a pork shoulder. This model holds temp surprisingly well in the cold and wind, which is important.

I don't know why I waited this long to buy one to be honest.

THe CRiPPLeR
This Hen's For You

Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:17 pm

Just did one of the Thanksgiving Turkey's in it. I have a charcoal one and love it. there is something about smoking with big chunks of wood that just make it feel right. I understand why people use propane and electric though. A lot less tending too I assume. Temp control can really throw of the timing for meals and such. I am in the beginning stages of building a bigger one with electric backup. Just gutted an old commercial food warmer of all the racks, temp controls, thermometer and heat elements. Still have not decided whether to make it a permanent stone or just use an old oven. For the stone one I would just have to find a few smaller commercial stove or warmer doors.

I cant really give you much advice on what type of smoker to get but what I can tell you is: when ever you smoke anything... smoke twice as much. If you are going to smoke a chicken for supper... make two. if you are going to turkey for thanksgiving... smoke two. If you are going to smoke a pork shoulder for pulled pork sandwiches... smoke two. You will always wish you had more when the leftovers run out, I promise.
AKA HenSlayer
If its brown its down, if it flies it..., well I cripple it

Secure huntings future, introduce someone new to the outdoors.

THe CRiPPLeR
This Hen's For You

Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:21 pm

I found this guy to have a lot of good recipes and technics. you can short cut and still have a good product but for the %100 best results follow the steps.

http://www.smoker-cooking.com/
AKA HenSlayer
If its brown its down, if it flies it..., well I cripple it

Secure huntings future, introduce someone new to the outdoors.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:57 pm

Find an old refrigerator (Fiber Glasses insulated - not foam) and convert it into a smoker.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

duck_dude
Coot Commander

Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:54 pm

I have a Traeger Texas and use it about three times a week. Easy electric pellet smoker that you can use as a wood fired oven to bake anything from cookies to a pie. Pretty sweet and makes great jerky.

D.T. Hammer
Mergie Marauder

Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:01 am

Just ordered a Fast Eddy PG1000 should be here in 2 weeks.

Check out www.pelletheads.com more info then you can digest in months all about smoking and BBQ
Buckthorn removal is easy with the buckthorn baggie :-)

shnelson
Mergie Marauder

Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:24 am

That's a pretty serious rig!

After reading this thread, I've got one more thing to add to the christmas wish list.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”