get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Re: MN Pheasant Summit

Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:47 pm

My uncle still owns land down by wells. My dad sold his over a decade ago now. The Crp down there was comical. Their was no one in any enforcement that would tag anyone for anything within the ag communiy. Other than letting land sit idle, they hate to see land sit idle. It'd be like slitting your family and kids throat in the community, to go against the farm everything mentality. Mainly dealing with strong Scandinavian/German ancestry and they do not like to be told what they can, and can not do.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

Big Doe Hunter
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:29 pm

I have a good friend in Wells. That area is probably the worst in the State for farming everything.
get-n-birdy wrote:Remember, just because it's not legal doesn't mean you can't do it, there's just a fee if you get caught.

Big Doe Hunter
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:33 pm

What I personally find interesting is how big the DNR makes the parking lots on WMAs and WPAs. Why not just have these parking areas be more grass and have hunters park on the shoulder of the gravel or on the approaches. Also, why do they plant food plots (corn & beans) on WMAs? There is corn everywhere! There is no need. The WMAs should be all grass. IMO that is a joke.
get-n-birdy wrote:Remember, just because it's not legal doesn't mean you can't do it, there's just a fee if you get caught.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:36 pm

Big Doe Hunter wrote: Also, why do they plant food plots (corn & beans) on WMAs? There is corn everywhere! There is no need. The WMAs should be all grass. IMO that is a joke.

Winter food sources.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:41 pm

greatwhitehunter3! wrote:
Big Doe Hunter wrote: Also, why do they plant food plots (corn & beans) on WMAs? There is corn everywhere! There is no need. The WMAs should be all grass. IMO that is a joke.

Winter food sources.

They've been planting alot more sorghum and millet, also been seeing more "wild" food sources where they always planted corn.

Team Power Dump
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:04 pm

Anybody know why they mowed all the grass on the north side of pelican this year? I've never seen them mow a WPA before

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:46 pm

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:Anybody know why they mowed all the grass on the north side of pelican this year? I've never seen them mow a WPA before

Might have been done for species control. Thistle and/or willow possibly. Also, due to residential not being all that far away, they might not be able to do controlled burns.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:46 pm

Makes sense...just thought it was weird to do it in August and thinking to myself they probably ticked a lot of pheasant hunters off. But guess they cant do it earlier because of hatches

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:36 am

There was a ton of purple loosestrife on one section of that Pelican WPA I walked my dog on this summer, not sure why they would mow that stuff in August after the seed heads have matured but what do I know. If thats even where they mowed.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:22 am

It was the whole north side between the lake and Cty Rd 37...mowed the whole thing

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”