greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Re: Ordering carpet, what do you pay for?

Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:50 pm

Couldn't tell you who parents got. Ordered carpet through someone and installed by local guy.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

D.T. Hammer
Mergie Marauder

Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:33 pm

The sales guy said the installer handles it so he gets paid.
Buckthorn removal is easy with the buckthorn baggie :-)

shnelson
Mergie Marauder

Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:49 pm

I found my invoice, but it's not broken down like I thought it was.

I can't see any reason why anyone would expect you to pay installation on material not used. Doesn't make sense.

D.T. Hammer
Mergie Marauder

Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:59 pm

shnelson wrote:I found my invoice, but it's not broken down like I thought it was.

I can't see any reason why anyone would expect you to pay installation on material not used. Doesn't make sense.

Neither do I but it appears as that is the industry standard. The only thing is they handle and cut all the carpet so they can charge for what they handle and that is all of it even the trash.
Buckthorn removal is easy with the buckthorn baggie :-)

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:00 pm

shnelson wrote:I found my invoice, but it's not broken down like I thought it was.

My thoughts too.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

shnelson
Mergie Marauder

Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:14 pm

D.T. Hammer wrote:

Neither do I but it appears as that is the industry standard. The only thing is they handle and cut all the carpet so they can charge for what they handle and that is all of it even the trash.

I guess I can kind of see where that comes from, and they are kind of unique in that manner.

Compare it to a drywall guy though, he's charging you per sq ft installed - not for total material ordered (at least that's how we bid when I did it). You don't get charged for the waste he cut off the boards used, why should carpet be any different?

beard
Coot Commander

Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:11 pm

A sq ft price is going to have the waste buried in the price. Unless the installer enjoys paying for someone else's waste.

lumbertick
Mergie Marauder

Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:43 am

The standard procedure for most trades contractors that operate on a square footage prices is to charge for product used....not necessarily installed though. The actual billing may reflect differently....but I don't know a drywall hanger who will actually measure the true square footage installed...and giving credit for waste. Basically, if they cut a sheet....you paid to install the whole sheet regardless of what went in the dumpsters. Roofers, flooring, tapers, are the same way. Bidding can be different as accurately figuring waste is pretty much impossible.

My advice for hiring a trade contractor is to remember the three basic tenants of service. Price, quality, availibility/schedule-ability. In 99% of all trades....you can only get the excellent ratings in 2 of the 3 tenants and you have to decide where you are comfortable sacrificing.

lt

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”