get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Re: Castech heads

Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:24 pm

Reality is it's a used vehicle. Shop around and put a used motor in it with lower miles. Then drive it till the wheels fall off.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

browningguy18
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:53 am

I will say, I realize it is an old truck with plenty of miles on it. My frustration is with, they know these heads are known to have issues just not quite enough complaints to have to issue a recall. I asked GM if they could help with anything on this simply for the fact that I had nothing to lose and everything to gain. Would have just excepted the fact if they would have just said, yup these trucks have these issues but we can't help. Instead I got these issues are rare, when after asking around it appears not to be that rare. Truck went in for new heads this morning. Now I just need to cross my fingers the rest of the engine is still in good shape. Honestly, I can't afford to put 7500 into this thing. Hopefully, this will get me through until I can afford to buy something newer. Thanks for letting me vent. And if you are in the market for a truck. I now recommend after all the research, which I probably should have just been looking for a used motor it sounds like, get one at least 2008 or newer or older than 00.

HnkrCrash
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:21 pm

You drive a hard bargain. I'll go $800.
"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people."
- Ron Swanson

Stute Slap
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:42 pm

HnkrCrash wrote:You drive a hard bargain. I'll go $800.

Actually he drives a truck with shitty heads.........

$800??? That's a steal. If had any reason to get rid of my '03 grand prix (3800 engine with dual exhaust, straight playin homeboi) with 265,000 miles on it I would scoop it up, asap.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:53 pm

Stu has a good point, best to verify if gasket or just 1 head.

As for MM comment, yes Toyota and Nissan are better - but you pay a lot more up front too. Just saying.

And GNB had some sage advice too. The problem is even if a cut rate mech does it--you still will spend $5K because of the swap.

Well, knock on wood as I have 2001 Chevy VorTec 5.3 The damned thing I dislike is this--I get the same mileage as a carbbed 350 eng from the early 90s. :shock: 13MPG. I had a '93 and a '94 that got 13 mpg and also a '98 spider FI 350 that got 15mpg. I was looking for the 4th door and to get a bit better mileage as the 5.3 was supposed to get 16-17mpg ave. Well I got the 4th door at least. :oops: I bought the 01 with significant hail damage but VG rockers/fender rust wise and had less than 150k. The price was right, but I still had to put $1500 into repairs 2.5 years ago when I got it (all new brakes pads and rotors, and FR bearing among a few smaller items.) Had run it for 2 years without problems. Now this fall the FL bearing went, had to replace that - and the FR bearing went that was replaced 29 months ago, but the part was on warranty yet, but had to pay for labor. So I dropped 5 bills last week. If I can run it another 2-3 years without a repair I'll be happy. Next Fall it'll need tires - and that'll be 7 bills for the LTs.
BTW, I have to give a nod to Rock Auto for parts. As I saved $100 including shipping Vs Napa price and had it 2 biz days later on the bearing assembly. ($124 vs 218+ tax) It was the exact same model/brand as the repair shop would put in.
Last edited by h2ofwlr on Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:58 pm

HnkrCrash wrote:You drive a hard bargain. I'll go $800.

Too bad its not a front wheel drive mini van... as it'd be a good light weight vehicle for early ice VS my 6,800 lb when loaded up 1/2 ton truck which requires at least 12" of solid ice.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

HnkrCrash
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:50 pm

^^^^^
What the hell do you need a minivan for? All of my cars can and have gone anywhere a truck will go. The key is to have no fear. Lots of pussies balk at driving a car through a plowed field or over a frozen lake and never test it, little do they know it's absolutely possible.
"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people."
- Ron Swanson

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:08 pm

^^ Agreed until there is a clearance issue. My duck and ice
fishing rig used to be a Honda Accord with a hitch. I took that thing down some knarly trails and through some nasty stuff and deep snow that even trucks got stuck in. A light weight vehicle can make a big difference. Only times I've been stuck is clearance issues from ruts, pressure ridges or deep packed wet snow.

Now I own a light Tacoma with beefy tires that make for tons of clearance. I've been through lots of stuff a half ton or bigger has been buried in. Pulled lots of them out. Only draw backs are the amount of room for gear and towing capacity. For now I don't need more towing capacity unless towing someone else's boat. I think I'll keep baby truck even when I get a real mans truck. It certainly out shines when off roading.

Toyotas cost more initially... GM's may be a good option for leases. JMO

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:46 pm

My primary hunting vehicle is a Ford Fusion.

Really wish I still had the Bronco Ii from college.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:15 am

Gf has an awd fusion...beast

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”