gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: Cold weather ATV starting

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:39 pm

Clean post on battery and connections and put a di electric grease or post grease on them. When it's cold them dirty terminals restrict power on an already cold and weekends battery.

sent from deez nutz lay'n on yo chin
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:29 pm

I also tried the lithium ion battery as they are supposed to handle cold weather better. Wasn't too impressed for a $250 battery. Back to standard now see how it compares

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:09 am

After kicking this around for a week it sounds like if a guy has to keep the atv in unheated conditions the best bet is to rig up a good quality garden tractor battery. It’s all about cold cranking amps. Or maybe they only put cranking amps on the little batteries.

You can also hit em with a jumper pack or jump start off a car/car battery.

I don’t use mine very often so I’m hoping the jumper pack will get me by... give me an excuse to use it and keep it charged too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shnelson
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:40 am

I fight this same issue every winter when it comes time to plow, finally switched to an AGM last fall with the highest CCA I could find in that size. So far so good, but I still don't have much confidence in it.

Thinking about being stranded - my ATV has a pull start in addition to elec (I thought that was common, maybe not), but I never had any luck getting that to work on an extreme cold start. The jumper packs you mention are awesome for this, easy to stash on the ATV if you're going any distance out.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:19 am

I had a 1993 Polaris Big Boss 350 (the 6 wheeler with the dump box) and never had issues starting it in an unheated garage.

For what an ATV/UTV costs now you can get a small SUV. If I have my way, I'll pick up a Bronco II or Jeep rather than an ATV

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:43 pm

shnelson wrote:I fight this same issue every winter when it comes time to plow, finally switched to an AGM last fall with the highest CCA I could find in that size. So far so good, but I still don't have much confidence in it.

Thinking about being stranded - my ATV has a pull start in addition to elec (I thought that was common, maybe not), but I never had any luck getting that to work on an extreme cold start. The jumper packs you mention are awesome for this, easy to stash on the ATV if you're going any distance out.

I believe the twins have no backup pull start...my 800 sportsman doesn't. I was worried about it for ice fishing and stuff, but wanted the bigger engine in case I ever got tracks for snow goose hunting

I got the AGM last year as well. But I think my main issue was wearing the battery down plowing using the winch over and over and not driving it normal to recharge, tender seemed to help that last winter a ton it never started hard in the garage or out on a lake

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:41 am

a small shot of starting fluid behind the filter might be your best friend, especially if your filter is easy to access. It licked my problem for a cold starter.......

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”