Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Re: Vikings 2019

Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:13 pm

We have this thing in MN where if it’s ours, we ignore all the faults and think its the best, and Speilman really has gotten all of that MN Pride on his side. I really don’t get why he’s revered either. Like he drafted Laquon Treadwell when we had O Line that was leaking like a sieve. Drafted Willie Beavers in the 4th and cut him smh. Speilman just really isn’t that good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:46 pm

Drunk_Dynasty wrote:We have this thing in MN where if it’s ours, we ignore all the faults and think its the best, and Speilman really has gotten all of that MN Pride on his side. I really don’t get why he’s revered either. Like he drafted Laquon Treadwell when we had O Line that was leaking like a sieve. Drafted Willie Beavers in the 4th and cut him smh. Speilman just really isn’t that good.

Or his most mind boggling move ever---drafting Christian Ponder twelfth overall when most teams didn't even have him going in the second round. It would have been a stupid gaffe to make.....even if it had worked out. The fact that it didn't? That's the type of blunder that gets a GM fired in at least two-thirds of the teams in the rest of the league.

I don't mind that he continually gets back into the first round and gets extra picks early....I mind that he misses on them. The draft where we took Sharriff Floyd, Xavier Rhodes, and Cordarrelle Patterson (four-for-one)? Well, at least one is still around.....and maybe that's a bad example since Floyd not being in the league isn't really his fault, but still Vikings-esque.

Bottom line---the guy needs multiple first round picks to get a single player that contributes where a lot of GM's have no problem consistently getting players that make an immediate impact in rounds one through three....even four. He has one in all his years....Diggs. Other than that he's got nothing. Thielen was a fluke that only happened due to Thielen's determination and the team displaying a ton of homerism like all MN sports teams....see taking a flyer on Mitch Leidner as case example numero uno.

You make a great point on Treadwell, that really is inexcusable when you think about it. It would be a questionable pick had the guy became a stud third receiver.....with him being total garbage with stone hands taking him instead of addressing the O-Line is an appalling level of ineptitude for an NFL front office.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:51 am

Don’t even get me started on all the draft capital spent on CBs, with the supposed DB whisperer as a head coach and all we have at this point is Rhodes who is slowing down, and an entirely unproved, injury prone Mike Hughes. Waynes is an average CB on his best days and Mackenzie Alexander is trash.

Oh oh oh but they are good tacklers.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:57 am

Lots of arm chair QBs here that have never been a GM for a pro football team, but you all have ALL the answers ! LMBO!

As for Carson - that was ALL Zimmer, not Speilman, he has a history of being ruthless on kickers/punters.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:21 am

It would be one thing if the guys he drafted didn’t have huge red flags that everyone else saw, but Spielman still drafted these guys with huge warning flags.

I bleed purple and gold, from the womb to the tomb, but I’m not gonna sit here and sing the praises of Spielman, and Zimmer, who has as many winning seasons as Leslie Frazier

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:15 pm

Technically last season was a "winning" season since we had more wins than losses....so Zimmer has what? Three winning seasons. 11-5 the year we lost on Blair Walsh's wide left to the Seahawks at TCF....13-3 two years ago, last year....we went 8-8 after starting 5-0 that year with Bradford having a record setting completion rate before getting murdered behind our O-Line.

Honestly? If I could've traded Cousins back to the Redskins for Keenum straight up in the offseason I would have. In hindsight, he's the better QB for this team....has a much better fit as a guy that scramble enough to make some throws, which let's be honest....with Thielen and Diggs you can kind of get away with throwing it up to them and letting them get it....not saying it's a la Randy Moss or anything, but we don't need a QB that's as surgical as Rodgers was in his prime when he could've turned any dbag with mediocre skill level and hands not made of stone into a pro bowl receiver. See 'ol Donnie Driver for example---dude looked just awesome when he had Ponder throwing to him instead of Gay-Rodge.

I was sincerely a little surprised when we took a center in the first round....half expected Spielman to take a CB....and again, being completely sincere and not facetious in the least. What does that tell you?

Spielman needs two first round picks every year to get a starter out of one of them....and then is lauded for "his great acumen."

The overall trajectory of the Vikings has been due to having maybe the best owners in the league. The Wilfs are great. The franchise from an organizational and ownership standpoint is by far the best in town and I'd argue right up there in all of sports.

I do view Zimmerman favorably. I think he's a slightly above average head coach. I don't think he could carry Bill Belichick's jock strap but in comparison to a guy like Leslie Frazier (great human being, subpar head coach) he looks like the defensive genius a lot of people like to bill him as. I think he's OK at game scheming....seems to do better than average three out five games but get "out-chessed" the other two out of five. Defensively he can scheme but then again look at the talent he's been given....our defense is comprised of first round picks. When compared to our offense and where those guys were drafted it's night and day. Part of me is really hesitant to give him too much praise because no other team in the league has invested as much draft equity and salary cap into their defense as we have.....

....so yeah, we should have a top five defense every year....year in and year out. That should be the expectation at the very least and being compared to the '85 Bears shouldn't be something people are astounded by, the few times it has happened, because of what we've invested.

And to wrap it up---h2ofwlr is the perfect textbook example of the non-objective MN sports fan---a pure and utter blend of homerism and bandwagoner that will sing, "We do it better here in MN!" whenever a team is slightly above average and makes the playoffs....only here do we treat making the playoffs the same as winning championships....and when things go wrong? Watch out---cause here come the pitchforks and torches. The amount of level-headed common sense used in our fan base has to be the least of any market that has all four major sports teams representing them.
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:35 pm

Q: Did the Vikings notch another preseason win?

A: Obviously!

Screenshot_20190820-173331_Chrome.jpg
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:22 pm

Since 1990 the Vikings have had 26 different starting Quarterbacks.....

Since 1990 they have had 7 Playoff Wins.......

Go VIKES!

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:50 pm

Curious if the receiver core and cousins are getting along. I saw that great catch Thielen made on an absolutely terrible throw by cousins first game. Made me shake my head cause it's not gonna work if the receivers gotta make miraculous catches every time they are targeted

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:42 pm

lanyard wrote:Since 1990 they have had 7 Playoff Wins.......

As big of a cynic as I am, that's not that bad....

One, good teams get a bye and don't have to play in the "wild card" round, they start at the divisional round...as did the '98, '00, '09, and '17 Vikings. Coincidentally, every time they've received a bye they've won a playoff game in the divisional round and gone on to the NFC championship game.

So even though those years they technically only won a single playoff game, they essentially advanced to the third round of the playoffs...despite only playing in two rounds.

In my opinion, you might as well add another playoff win to those years since that's what it felt like and kind of what happens in the NFL.

Especially when compared to years like the 2015 Vikings that went 11-5, won the division, and then lost in brutal fashion 9-10 to the Seattle Seahawks in the first round (AKA "wild card round") during a home playoff game...one of the coldest...if not the coldest game time temps ever for a football game.

Now contrast that with the 2004 Vikings, a team that went 8-8 yet won a playoff game in the wild card round....at Green Bay, the Randy Moss pantomime mooning the fans game... .

I digress.

Look, at least we're not forced to root for the Lions.
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”