Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Re: Waterfowl Gear on Craigslist

Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:55 am

hobbydog wrote:
Hansen wrote:I think those older guys (60 plus years old) are getting out because they can't physically do it anymore. The mid 40-50's aged guys are as well. Access is the biggest issue and quality of hunting.

I think the DNR and lessard group made a major mistake by not creating hunting/conservation areas like in Missouri. If they created 6/8 conservation areas north to south with a daily blind draw on moist soil impoundments it would help improve hunter satisfaction. In stead they try to rehab mud-holes with water the color of my coffee.

Anyway. I agree most guys are hanging it up, the guys with a boat and 2 dozen mallards and a dozen geese are done.

Careful who you are calling old. My decoys are not for sale. 8-)

Older . . . . :D

browningguy18
Mergie Marauder

Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:39 pm

Hansen wrote:I think those older guys (60 plus years old) are getting out because they can't physically do it anymore. The mid 40-50's aged guys are as well. Access is the biggest issue and quality of hunting.

I think the DNR and lessard group made a major mistake by not creating hunting/conservation areas like in Missouri. If they created 6/8 conservation areas north to south with a daily blind draw on moist soil impoundments it would help improve hunter satisfaction. In stead they try to rehab mud-holes with water the color of my coffee.

Anyway. I agree most guys are hanging it up, the guys with a boat and 2 dozen mallards and a dozen geese are done.

I could not agree anymore with the creating conservation areas like MO part. Well stated!

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:30 am

browningguy18 wrote:

I could not agree anymore with the creating conservation areas like MO part. Well stated!

Would be great if the mn dnr actually supported waterfowl hunters and hunting.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:15 am

Does anyone buy Carry Lite decoys on purpose?

As in, "Man, I sure love getting me some Carry Lites", is "Dude, you gotta see my Carry Lite spread."

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:33 am

lanyard wrote:Does anyone buy Carry Lite decoys on purpose?

As in, "Man, I sure love getting me some Carry Lites", is "Dude, you gotta see my Carry Lite spread."

I think “Gary, the Decoy Guy” in Golden Valley does. He repaints and repurposes every decoy as a diver species.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:32 am

Used carrylite's at the right price, definitely. If I had a source to get the right size jugs to paint up I wouldn't even be considering buying carrylite's to convert to weighted keels. A jug spread would work fine for most applications. The quality of the decoys used in a spread is way down the list on the factors important to have a successful hunt for me. I have nice decoys but I also hunt with a lot of cheapies or old school decoys I've acquired over the years. The guys who think they kill more birds because they have the most expensive flocked decoys with the latest and greatest pose haven't been at this sport long enough or are just plain doing it wrong.

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:46 pm

get-n-birdy wrote:[quote="browningguy18"][quote="Hansen"]I think those older guys (60 plus years old) are getting out because they can't physically do it anymore. The mid 40-50's aged guys are as well. Access is the biggest issue and quality of hunting.

I could not agree anymore with the creating conservation areas like MO part. Well stated![/quote]

Would be great if the mn dnr actually supported waterfowl hunters and hunting.[/quote]

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:24 pm

Nershi wrote:

Used carrylite's at the right price, definitely. If I had a source to get the right size jugs to paint up I wouldn't even be considering buying carrylite's to convert to weighted keels. A jug spread would work fine for most applications. The quality of the decoys used in a spread is way down the list on the factors important to have a successful hunt for me. I have nice decoys but I also hunt with a lot of cheapies or old school decoys I've acquired over the years. The guys who think they kill more birds because they have the most expensive flocked decoys with the latest and greatest pose haven't been at this sport long enough or are just plain doing it wrong.

My issues w/ Carry Lite are related directly to their PITA properties: 1) if water keel, that effing pee hole gets you every time; 2) the keels suck to get a weight around, the necks suck to get a weight around.

My favorite cheap ass decoys have been randomly sold as Bond or Remington. Just some shitty 1" short of "standard", but they are tits for birds and wrap up fast. Every time I come across one of the random Carry Lites in my bag I swear, piss and moan, and wonder why the phuck I can't ever they're things away.....

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:41 pm

You could sell the CL right now as it's a hot market, then no more pissing and moaning! :D Then go buy a 1/2 dz Avian X so you can hang with the cool kids. :lol:

The CL divers - their heads stick up WAAAAY too high (on alert position) and being so high if a good wind, they lean 45 degrees. 40+ yrs ago I've saw water keels actually blow over. CL is the K-Mart of retailers
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:11 pm

True on the water from the keels. I remember in my early youth when still only having hip boots having a dickcicle by the time we were done picking up from those things. Sealing them off with sand inside takes care of that.

These days if I can’t chuck a decoy 15 yards and have it stand up it isn’t coming with. Weighted keels are the best.

I really want to get a jug spread to prove to some of my hunting buddies that quality decoys are not needed. They always question if we should put out my grandpas old rubber blow up decoys that have stupid head poses. A good smack down over a jug spread would end that discussion.

Nothing better than coming in to the launch with a full strap with all kinds of old school gear and watching the cool kids with their sweet decoys scratch their head at our success. Even better if they have a homo Jon boat with a big mud motor and I’m rocking a 1950’s 3 hp with an old square back or the sport boat.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”