Bill Gilbertson
Mergie Marauder

Re: Engine oil - How low can you go?

Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:55 pm

I don't think brand really matters. I run whatever name brand Fleet Farm has on sale (currently Shell) except in the winter when I have the local Exxon station change it.

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:11 pm

Bill Gilbertson wrote:I don't think brand really matters. I run whatever name brand Fleet Farm has on sale (currently Shell) except in the winter when I have the local Exxon station change it.

It probably doesn't I was just curious

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:30 pm

The question should be is, "where is the oil going?"

Pressure indicator is NOT a low oil indicator.

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:58 pm

lanyard wrote:The question should be is, "where is the oil going?"

Pressure indicator is NOT a low oil indicator.

Either a leak or burning up.

Bill does your son notice any oil spots where the car is generally parked?

Perch_44
Mergie Marauder

Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:19 pm

Maple Syrup can be used as a substitute in the event of low oil also.

Bill Gilbertson
Mergie Marauder

Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:59 pm

Perch_44 wrote:Maple Syrup can be used as a substitute in the event of low oil also.

And Pennzoil is great on pancakes. You should try it.

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:59 pm

Don't put maple syrup in your motor. You're better off find help or if you're prepared already have a quart or 2 in the truck/toolbox

THe CRiPPLeR
This Hen's For You

Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:01 pm

Till the engine quits turning. Then I think its impossible to actually go any longer.
AKA HenSlayer
If its brown its down, if it flies it..., well I cripple it

Secure huntings future, introduce someone new to the outdoors.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:05 pm

The burning oil thing could happen, but I would think there'd be noticeable exhaust issues.

We had a car that was blowing oil out of block gasket and it was burning on the engine block. It would lose a quart between oil changes, and figured it was due to high mileage. Sometimes there would be a stinky burnt oil smell, bu then not so much. Finally one month the oil light would come on, as mentioned, when taking a hard turn... 3+ quarts of oil gone.... no drips in the garage, etc.

By the time we got it to the mechanic the thing was hemorrhaging oil.

Depending on the design of the engine block, there might be more than one casket. Everyone thinks head gasket, but there could be one or two intermediary gaskets if the full block is made from two to three pieces of steel. 3 quarts is a lot to go missing every 3k-5k miles.

Low oil can have some catastrophic effects on the vehicle.... and the pressure gauge may read just fine the whole time.

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:20 pm

lanyard wrote:The burning oil thing could happen, but I would think there'd be noticeable exhaust issues.

We had a car that was blowing oil out of block gasket and it was burning on the engine block. It would lose a quart between oil changes, and figured it was due to high mileage. Sometimes there would be a stinky burnt oil smell, bu then not so much. Finally one month the oil light would come on, as mentioned, when taking a hard turn... 3+ quarts of oil gone.... no drips in the garage, etc.

By the time we got it to the mechanic the thing was hemorrhaging oil.

Depending on the design of the engine block, there might be more than one casket. Everyone thinks head gasket, but there could be one or two intermediary gaskets if the full block is made from two to three pieces of steel. 3 quarts is a lot to go missing every 3k-5k miles.

Low oil can have some catastrophic effects on the vehicle.... and the pressure gauge may read just fine the whole time.

If it was a head gasket he would have known when he changed the oil, it would of been milky white color, sometimes oil pans drip too or like Lanyard said another gasket, the only way you wouldn't see oil marks is if the gasket is above where the line of where your oil sits when the engine is off, very possible.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”