Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Re: Drought

Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:39 am

I’m sure my gf is sleeping with real men while I’m out fly fishing, but as long as they don’t troll with down riggers im usually ok with it ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:35 pm

I've never trolled with downriggers....what's the easiest most cost effective way to give it a whirl Nershi?

This is kind of a cool pic my buddy took.....from a cliff.....if you look closely you can see me and my brother fishing I'm guessing 200'+ below.....

Screenshot_20210424-142332_Gallery.jpg
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:07 pm

Fish Felon wrote:I've never trolled with downriggers....what's the easiest most cost effective way to give it a whirl Nershi?

This is kind of a cool pic my buddy took.....from a cliff.....if you look closely you can see me and my brother fishing I'm guessing 200'+ below.....

Screenshot_20210424-142332_Gallery.jpg

Im starting to love that system more and more.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:18 pm

I don’t have downriggers on my boat. By the time you need em it’s musky season and I’m done with trout and salmon. Fish are up top when I’m fishing them. My old man has em. Leadcore out fishes downriggers 5:1 so I’d suggest buying those first. You can use leadcore for walleye too.

Just joking on the fly fishing thing. I fly fish. I give fly fisherman chit because a lot of the fly guys are elitist. Kind of like some of the musky guys.

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:37 pm

Oh, I've been using leadcore for years homey. I figured I've got all the stuff to hit Superior, minus downriggers. If they're really down when I go I guess I'll just throw a 3-5oz snap weight on the leadcore and that should do it.
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:42 pm

Fly fishing is super elitist. It’s funny cause a fly fisherman will go so far out of their way to help another fly fisherman but if you use anything that even closely resembles a treble hook it’s nothing but dirty looks looool

bigdog
Coot Commander

Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:31 am

Can drop a bunch of money on downriggers, I went the inexpensive route. Have a Big John and a Walker manual. Like the Walker better than Big John. For a release I prefer the Walker over the clamp styles.
Have lead core but have not used it much, also bought some wire line to use with a dipsy, but then I stopped going to Lake MI before I spooled it up. Trolling inland lakes I have done well with the riggers.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:08 am

Back to drought...

We've been a La Nina weather pattern, that is to weaken by summers end to a neutral influence. So do we get "average" precip starting Summer thru Fall? Who knows....

The drought has been increasing in the west for yrs now. Reached the Dakotas 2 yrs ago and Mn last Yr.

Lets put it this way, if it continues in the prairies - can you moderate duck season for 2022?
Because currently the vast majority of the "duck factory" is in a at least a moderate drought when the ducks returned.
Attachments
2021 03 NA drought.jpg
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:57 am

I have no idea if this is drought related or not, but I have never seen so many diver ducks this late in the local sloughs as this year, unbelievable numbers, sure could be drought related I guess ......
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:42 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:Back to drought...

We've been a La Nina weather pattern, that is to weaken by summers end to a neutral influence. So do we get "average" precip starting Summer thru Fall? Who knows....

The drought has been increasing in the west for yrs now. Reached the Dakotas 2 yrs ago and Mn last Yr.

Lets put it this way, if it continues in the prairies - can you moderate duck season for 2022?
Because currently the vast majority of the "duck factory" is in a at least a moderate drought when the ducks returned.

Most of Prairie Canada has been bone dry for what....three years now?

It does make you wonder about whether or not the USFWS is pressured into setting liberal season frameworks. Thirty years of them in a row seems kind of crazy, but then again.....looking at this it kind of makes sense....

20210422_130237.jpg

9manfan wrote:I have no idea if this is drought related or not, but I have never seen so many diver ducks this late in the local sloughs as this year, unbelievable numbers, sure could be drought related I guess ......

Same here.....just saw a ton of ringbills on Onamia and a few other rice lakes a few hours ago.
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”