Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Re: Local hatch

Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:15 pm

Drunk_Dynasty wrote:If I guess what lake you live on, will you tell me if I’m right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hahaha!

No.

I've got a feeling you probably got it figured out.

How about this....you shoot me a pm when you're going to be in my neck of the woods with what lake you think I'm on, give me a day or two heads up so you don't catch me when I haven't slept for a couple days, and if you have it right you swing by to have some beers and go fishing instead. Deal?
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:07 am

Fish Felon wrote:[quote="Drunk_Dynasty"]If I guess what lake you live on, will you tell me if I’m right?

Hahaha!

No.

I've got a feeling you probably got it figured out.

How about this....you shoot me a pm when you're going to be in my neck of the woods with what lake you think I'm on, give me a day or two heads up so you don't catch me when I haven't slept for a couple days, and if you have it right you swing by to have some beers and go fishing instead. Deal?[/quote]
DEAL

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:58 am

If you've never caught a dogfish....I'm on the greatest dogfish lake in the world. I'll put you on some world class dogfish. Seriously, it's not uncommon to catch 3 or 4 in an evening fishing for them from the dock. Plus decent bass, dink pike, occasionally a pie plate sunny, and the occasional walleye due to my shocking efforts....almost forgot the occasional catfish as well due to the same reasons.

Fishing for dogfish isn't that cool but it's something different, so it's a fitting representation...since I'm not that cool but I might be a little different. Haha!
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:27 am

Man I haven't fished specifically for dogfish in forever. I used to love doing it when I was younger. We'd catch a blue gill, chop it in half, and then throw it out under a bob and just wait. Good times.

And honestly, there are so many small lakes, and depending on how far outside of Brainerd you consider the "BLA", it could be a great many number of lakes. Some people consider out past Aitkin, up as far as Backus, west as far as Wadena, and south as far LF the "Brainerd Lakes Area.

lickmyvowels
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:55 pm

Man I've spent hours with a lighted bobber on jergins lake north of sauk center fishing for dogfish in my youth.

Sent from my moto g power (XT2041DL) using Tapatalk

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:09 am

Been seeing a lot of broods out west. But...abnormally small broods.
Dominate The Skies.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:03 pm

My old man went to devils lake for a fishing trip and never saw a brood of Ducks the entire trip. He said all the hens were hanging with drakes but didn’t seem to be in breeding habits to renest.

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:41 pm

I've got to imagine all the potholes wetland complexes starting East of Devils Lake at Petersburg are gone. I originally heard the lake was down 6' a month ago, but my buddy said it's down 4.' I guess it all depends on how many feet from when? I'm guessing the 6' was from the elevation/high water mark, and my buddy was talking anecdotally since ice off.

Either way when the water table drops that much, and without any rain to temporarily replenish them, all the wetlands in the DL region are gone....and probably not coming back for a while.

It'll be interesting to see how bad the overall continental hatch is this year. It could be right up there for worst ever. I can't remember a time when the entire PPR was this dry collectively. Even when most of it's dry there'll still be areas of a province/state that are good to above average and producing ducks.

This year though.....I dunno know....maybe the less productive parkland regions still have have decent water and pump out some birds, boreal areas actually become more productive when it's dry. They always have lakes and water but less water and warmer temps drops them a bit, increase vegetation, and increases bug hatches and larval shit in shallows. Rice will be absolutely ridiculous this year too for them when migrating in the fall.
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

lickmyvowels
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:12 pm

I was surprised by the size of the young wood ducks already today on the river. Could already tell which ones were drake's.

Sent from my moto g power (XT2041DL) using Tapatalk

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:08 pm

I have seen more late hatch clutches in the last couple weeks than I did all May and June. Good sign.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”