Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Re: Shotgun shells

Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:37 am

I like Lee Kjos a lot but his branding is awful and I disagree with his reasoning against Steel.

Tungsten has been around for a while. Kent Tungtsen Matrix for example. I thought Boss was bismuth too tho. I guess I’ll never be a BOSSman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lickmyvowels
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: Shotgun shells

Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:18 am

Nershi wrote:Their website says they are copper plated tungsten. Never heard of tungsten in shells. That would explain the cost. Lots of marketing on their website about the powder too.

Are they as good as lead? Better than bismuth?
Tungsten=hevi shot....that being said I have been told more than once that they were copper plated bismuth....makes no sense to copper plate tungsten since copper platting is done to harden the shot to keep it from deforming so the patterns stay consistent. So since tungsten is as hard as my dick when watching collage volleyball I don't see the point besides for sales.

Sent from my moto g power (XT2041DL) using Tapatalk

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:19 am

Nershi wrote:Their website says they are copper plated tungsten. Never heard of tungsten in shells. That would explain the cost. Lots of marketing on their website about the powder too.

The turkey shells are tungsten.

The duck/upland loads are copper plated bismuth. The copper helps the shot penetrate more and not fracture as much being that bismuth is somewhat brittle. I haven't shot much game with lead but, Id say these copper plated bismuth shells are equal or a little less lethal than lead. Far superior to steel.

Ive shot a fair number of the Kent bismuth loads of over the years also. The newer Kent in the 25rd boxes kill well, better than the 10rd box ammo did. Supposedly the 10rd box was using European sized shot but labeled as US size. So #6 is actually #8 and so on.

We've shot everything from teal to honkers with the 12ga 2 3/4' #5 and #4.

I bought a few cases of Boss and put my steel away for when or if the kids start hunting.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

lickmyvowels
Mergie Marauder

Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:22 am

emptymag wrote:[quote="Nershi"]Their website says they are copper plated tungsten. Never heard of tungsten in shells. That would explain the cost. Lots of marketing on their website about the powder too.

The turkey shells are tungsten.

The duck/upland loads are copper plated bismuth. The copper helps the shot penetrate more and not fracture as much being that bismuth is somewhat brittle. I haven't shot much game with lead but, Id say these copper plated bismuth shells are equal or a little less lethal than lead. Far superior to steel.

Ive shot a fair number of the Kent bismuth loads of over the years also. The newer Kent in the 25rd boxes kill well, better than the 10rd box ammo did. Supposedly the 10rd box was using European sized shot but labeled as US size. So #6 is actually #8 and so on.

We've shot everything from teal to honkers with the 12ga 2 3/4' #5 and #4.

I bought a few cases of Boss and put my steel away for when or if the kids start hunting.[/quote]Meh I kill honkers all day long with #4 steel.
Hard on the teeth but it kills them better than steel #2 or bb.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:35 am

The cost per case is about double and their cases are 200 shells per case instead of 250. Tough to justify that for me. I’m sure they work great but I’m gonna stick to decoying em close and kill em with my mid grade steel shot.

Their marketing seems to be targeted to the younger bro crowd.

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:39 am

Same. I’ll stick with mid-tier steel and shoot them in the face.

Lee Kjos gets the bro crowd tho. I know dudes that shoot only BOSS and buy all the merchandise, hoodies, hats etc.

lickmyvowels
Mergie Marauder

Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:42 am

Drunk_Dynasty wrote:Same. I’ll stick with mid-tier steel and shoot them in the face.

Lee Kjos gets the bro crowd tho. I know dudes that shoot only BOSS and buy all the merchandise, hoodies, hats etc.

Prolly the same ones that wear $1,000 waders and have a boat full of mallard dekes that run 150.00 a six pack. The dumb bastards are going to cost everyone out of duck hunting once all the companies realize people will pay those prices.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:46 am

lickmyvowels wrote:
Drunk_Dynasty wrote:Same. I’ll stick with mid-tier steel and shoot them in the face.

Prolly the same ones that wear $1,000 waders and have a boat full of mallard dekes that run 150.00 a six pack. The dumb bastards are going to cost everyone out of duck hunting once all the companies realize people will pay those prices.

Good! Even less competition!
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:37 pm

lickmyvowels wrote:[quote="Drunk_Dynasty"]Same. I’ll stick with mid-tier steel and shoot them in the face.

Sent from my moto g power (XT2041DL) using Tapatalk[/quote]

One guy I know that buys cases of Boss does indeed also have the $800 Sitka waders.

Waterfowl hunters are so funny man. Most of us never get more than a mile from a vehicle and usually don’t spend more than a morning in the field, yet dudes will buy $450 jackets and $850 waders. Makes me think it’s more about buying certification than actual comfort.

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:52 pm

emptymag wrote:The duck/upland loads are copper plated bismuth. The copper helps the shot penetrate more and not fracture as much being that bismuth is somewhat brittle.

Are you sure?

I thought it was because it's soft and malleable, not brittle. They plate lead and bismuth pellets with copper to reduce how many get deformed going down and out the barrel. Between hitting the barrel and hitting other pellets....all it takes is one spot on a pellet to be flattened from contact during discharge and that pellet is most likely going to veer/spin off out of the patterns trajectory.....and become an "outlier" or "flyer" or whatever the technical term the shooting industry calls them that I can't remember right now.

Firing a shotgun shell is a controlled and small but very violent explosion. When you stack a bunch of pellets on top of it they're going to bang into each other.

That's why things like wads and buffering were invented, to reduce the amount of contact the pellets have with the barrel and each other as they're exiting the barrel, because by reducing contact you reduce pellets getting deformed and thus increase the amount that remain in the pattern headed towards their intended target.

Another way to reduce deformities of pellets made from soft and malleable metals is by making them less soft and malleable....which is what plating them with copper does.

The name of the game when it comes to wingshooting at longer ranges is more pellets
.....since there is no difference of range/kinetic energy between a #4 lead pellet exiting the barrel of a .410 at 1350fps or a #4 lead pellet leaving the barrel of a 10ga at 1350fps. They are the same, traveling at the same velocity, and will inflict the same amount of damage hitting the same target in the same spot at an equal distance.

I want to say that before modern wads and prior to modern choking of barrels, only 20%-40% of the pellets in a shotshell traveled towards the intended direction of the target in the pattern. Approximately 60% of lead pellets end up in the shot pattern in today's guns and shells.....when talking plain lead pellets that aren't buffered, and 80%-85% of copper plated lead shot with buffering stay in the shot pattern.

There's a reason why a lot of the old timers shot 8 gauges and punt guns, and why the 12ga ended up replacing the 10ga for the most practical duck guns......

....modern shells get a higher percentage of their pellets flying towards the intended target.

By getting a higher percentage hunters could get a similar amount of pellets shot towards the ducks they were pulling up on while using less gun.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”