lickmyvowels
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Drought

Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:58 am

lickmyvowels wrote:[quote="h2ofwlr"]It takes almost 2 weeks to issue the North America drought map. But gives a bigger picture if what's going on.

I talked to a friend mine that has a farm in NE ND. He said it's as dry as 1989.
Remember the heat in 88-89. Just like how it's been this year. I remember basically living on the river since we didn't have ac and wade fishing was the only way to stay cool.

Sent from my moto g power (XT2041DL) using Tapatalk[/quote]Did I just give away how old I am?

Sent from my moto g power (XT2041DL) using Tapatalk

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Re: Drought

Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:20 pm

I remember fishing the river in the late 80's....it was unreal. We'd drop off mom and my baby sister at the laundromat and then my dad and the first five kids, all boys, me in the middle with two older and two younger brothers.....we'd hit the river and come back with limits of walleyes and smallmouth, plus a bunch of behemoth rock bass. My parents are from Iowa....didn't know it's looked down upon to eat rock bass. Oddly enough, if you don't know any better they're like a thicker sunfish or crappie and taste delicious.....only ever seen them with worms once, out of thousands I've cleaned....the walleyes and smallmouth all had worms that day too so I tossed them all.

In the late 80's we had a 16' Lowe Line with a 20hp merc, which was our family's first boat. My dad picked up when visiting my Grandma and step-Grandpa in Branson....when they were still realtors prior to moving back to NW Iowa. It was an awesome boat. Really wide and deep and had four benches. Plenty of room for one adult and five little kids. Even my little brother who was three at the time could catch a limit. My dad would motor us into a big snag, my oldest brother would check depth with a paddle, and anything that was over 3' deep? Game on. We'd start piling out and scatter all over the snag and start dropping our jigs with crawlers on them down through any openings we could pull a fish through. On some of the bigger snags that had 6' to 7' of water under them....they were just ridiculous. We'd leave some of them with half our limits....around 18 walleyes, same for smallies, plus a bunch of rock bass....there were no catfish back then. 2013 was the first year we ever caught them on the stretch of river we fish.

We'd stay at the cabin for up to three weeks at a time with my dad flying out of Brainerd for work several times during a stint like that....he had a phone line put in so he could work from a desk in my parents bedroom that doubled as an office.

We'd mainly fish the little lake the cabin is on, and we ate fish probably five out seven nights a week. People were more thrifty then. Fish for dinner was a way to keep us occupied and keep down food costs. A six pack of black label beer was a splurge for my dad....he'd have one while mowing the yard, one while fishing, we never had pop....just drank tap water and kool-aid when lucky.

There wasn't a washer and dryer at the cabin then so about once a week we'd need to run to town to drop my mom and baby sister off at the laundromat and then dad and the boys would go fish the river. It probably sounds worse than it was in terms of being sexist. My mom enjoyed having some quiet time to herself to read and dote on her baby girl which she really only got at the laundromat. In terms of my dad.....having to watch five young boys was a pain in the ass. There's no better way to keep track of that many kids than by sticking them in a boat. It's the best playpen ever made. The kids can't go anywhere and love being in it.

Fishing was so good back then on the river that even my little brother who was three had no problem routinely catching a limit. It was dry enough that an entire river's worth of fish were concentrated into probably less than 5% of it. All we had to do was drive into a snag, drop down a jig and worm, and fish on.....or we'd get snagged. We learned to tie a fishing knot really fast at a young age fishing the river. There was nothing worse than to be tying on a jig while your siblings were pulling up nice walleyes and bass....except for pulling up a nice walleye, not waiting for the net and breaking off while you tried to horse it in, only to have your brother catch it with your jig still in it's mouth while you were tying on a new jig, which happened more than on one occasion. We had a lead smelter and poured our own jigs. Jigs were cheap back then but we went through a lot of them. To this day there's no way you'll ever convince me that there's a better color than the dark silver shiny metallic natural color of a freshly poured jig head.

We'd get done on the river whenever the set time was when my mom thought she'd have the laundry done. We had an old orange cooler with a white top that was always full of fish, and more times than not it wasn't big enough to hold our 36 walleyes and 36 smallies plus usually more than 36 rock bass. We'd get back to the cabin and all the boys would go into the screened in fish cleaning house we have to clean fish. One of the younger boys would run in some of the first ones we cleaned so by the time we were done and came into wash up with the rest of the filets....my mom already had dinner on the table. Fried up fish breaded in bread crumbs that we called "fish cookies." We never had stuff like tartar sauce back then so they were consumed typically with ketchup as the only condiment with a side of instant mashed potatoes and a vegetable....green beans, corn, peas, steamed broccoli or cauliflower.

Of all the limits and all the fish we caught there was never any pics taken. It was the 80's....people were more focused on living life than they were with documenting it. Pictures weren't cheap and we were always busy....there was always somewhat of a sense of commotion in my family, being fairly big. First day of school, birthdays, Christmas, and Easter were the times the camera was pulled out of the closet and a couple pics got taken.

When we got back with all those fish it was rather unceremonious....we pulled the cooler and the stringers out of the boat into the fish house and started cleaning.

The other thing, shared in an effort to not come off as if I'm embellishing, was we kept everything back then. Half the walleyes we cleaned were under 14," hell probably 13" with quite a few being 12." It wasn't like we were cleaning lineups where they were all 18" to 20." We'd usually get one or two over 20" a fair amount in that 16" to 18" range, and about half are what I refer to today as dinks and throw back. Same principle applied to the smallmouths....if they were as big or bigger than any of the sunnies were catching and cleaning from the lake we were on, what's the difference in keeping a small smallmouth that's still bigger than they were?

Fishing the river in the late 80's was where I truly fell in love with fishing....

...and although it's getting pretty good and low right now....

...it still ain't shit compared to the late 80's.

There's still literally three times the water coming down "my family's" stretch of river as there was in 1988 despite this being as low or damn near as low as I've ever seen it since the late 80's early 90's.

Screenshot_20210618-182011_Gallery.jpg
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

lickmyvowels
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:46 pm

I had a thing about how we used to fish but this phaggot azz tapturd keeps logging me out mid reply and deleting what I have down

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:58 pm

I hate when that happens. Lots of long "brilliant" posts of mine vanished into the interwebs for all of eternity......
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:08 pm

And in regards to ND being as dry as it was in 1989.....

....it's nowhere near as dry as it was in 1989 despite how bad this current drought is.

In 1989 Devils Lake was under 40,000 acres and the ND G&F was worried if it got any smaller the walleyes and other gamefish would die off and no longer be able to live in the lake due to it being too high of a salinity/alkali.

Stump Lake wasn't a Lake....it was a creek that was at the bottom of a hundred foot deep ravine.....that was a NWR that snow geese would stack up on and fly in and out of. There's currently 80' of water where this creek that was a foot or two of water was.

Devils Lake was 265,000 acres this spring. If ND doesn't get another drop of rain for a year.....there'll still be a couple hundred thousand acres of water, which is five times more than in 1989.

The type one wetland basins still have water in them. They were dry as a popcorn fart shitty cattle pastures in 1989.

The geological record shows that the late 80's were the driest the state of ND has been in the last 500 years for sure, and quite possibly the last 50,000.

We're a long ways from it being as dry as it was in 1989.
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

lickmyvowels
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:20 pm

What little rain comes through keeps splitting and missing my area. We got five drops yesterday. These two valleys converging always makes the weak storms fall apart over us. I can stick my finger between the sidewalks and the dirt here. I tried to drive a small rod in the ground yesterday and needed a hammer to just start it. That .65" is being generous imo. Image

lickmyvowels
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:33 pm

June is supposed to be our wettest month. Think we are a tad below the average. ImageImage

lickmyvowels
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:37 pm

Then throw on the 2.5 weeks of above 90° with 103° being the hottest. We only ave 8.8 days a year with 90°+ and it isn't even the month for those temps yet. It's 1989 all over again.

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:02 am

I'm not saying that this isn't getting near the late 80's in terms of lack of precipitation and heat. I'm guessing it's pretty comparable....for sure in the same ballpark at the least....when comparing yearly temps and precipitation during those years to this year (thus far).

In the late 80's we weren't coming off a historic almost three decade long wet cycle like we are now. There's still a ton of residual water deposited from it and it'll probably take a few years of this type of drought continuing unbroken before the water table drops down to late 80's levels.

Devils Lake (ND) was at around 40,000 acres in size for a loooong time going into the late 80's.....a couple generations. Long enough to where over a couple hundred thousand acres had farms on them....houses, barns, silos, out buildings, families raised on them.....there were towns on those couple hundred thousand acres where the locals went to their bar to drink at, families went to church on Sunday, and schools their parents attended, they went to, and where their kids started K and went all the way up to graduating after 12.

Devils Lake was at around 40,000 acres for so long that the people in the area completely forgot how towns like Church's Ferry got their names. Funny name for a town thirty miles from any lake in the middle of a semi-arid and dry landscape that was fencerow to fencerow wheat country as long as.......however long it takes for human history to be completely forgotten.....and how when the state was settled that town was on the edge of a giant lake where a ferry used to pick up people, horses, and wagons to take them across it.

The late 80's drought took place prior to the rain and wet spell that turned Devils Lake from the 40,000 acre body of water no one's grandpa remembered it as ever being anything different in size....

....to over a quarter million acres of water in pockets big and small spread out to where you can cover fifty miles East to West and fifty miles South to North by boat.

We're a month nto a moderate drought.....it's not even close to being the late 80's yet where the water table was a lot lower when that drought started and was unrelenting for several years.

It's entirely possible that we get a wetter then average July by an inch of rain, ditto August, ditto September, and with an extra half inch in October we'd be going into winter Even Steven with where we should be at.

Even if we get three years of this weather straight it'll still probably not approach the late 80's simply due to where the water table was at prior to those years and where it was at going into this drought. Until Devils Lake is back down to 40,000 acres this won't be late 80's-esque.

Guys need to also realize that the reason why it might have been possible for record duck flights....they might actually have existed and not been "paper ducks"....one big reason.......is that......the Dakotas as you know them?

They were never like that previously in modern history....for sure never like that any time during a duck survey was conducted.

All the wetlands, especially the ones in the drift prairie area East of the Couteau, those never existed during the previous banner duck highs of the 50's, 70's, etc. When it started raining in 1993 no one alive had ever seen it rain like that....to where it never let up. To where 200,000 acres that people farmed and lived on, because their Great Great Grandpa decided to farm it. To where it created all those cattail wetlands that along with a bunch of CRP was able to produce a shitload of ducks.

If you think I'm wrong and those wetlands were there, why are there countless farmsteads and small towns currently under water? Why would anyone have their century old family farm on Lake bed that flooded out in the 50's & 70's?

They didn't. That shit never got wet. It was dry from the end of the 19th century until the end of the 20th. It was dry long enough no one remembered it ever being wet. That's why there's a dyke protecting the remainder of the city of Devils Lake and why they've had to build up their roads umpteen times.....the possibility of living on a dried up lake bed never occurred to them.

When the very early hordes of Minnesotans started flocking to ND in the mid 90's.....North Dakotans thought they were nuttier than squirrel turds for bringing something they'd never seen anyone use while hunting waterfowl......a fukcing boat.

Just like no one remembered Devils Lake being anything but 40,000 acres, no one remembered hunting waterfowl when there was enough water on the landscape to have some of it not be refuges.

ND hunters were field hunters. They hunted around any one of the few small bodies of water created by damming a creek and making it so the water was a refuge that could not be hunted. That’s why all those little dams named after their nearest little town are still off-limits.....that's all there was for water pre-1993. They'd hunt by throwing out some white garbage they secured to the ground somewhat as to not blow away, and they hunted snow geese....when it was good they shot limits, which was five. When the ducks were around they'd shoot limits of mallards, which was two, and hoped for their third duck to be a pintail since it couldn't be another mallard. Canada geese were off limits in large areas of the state. Where and when they were open seasons were short and limits were one, they might have been allowed to shoot two late in the high plains unit some years.....I'm not exactly sure on the Canadas other than shooting one was a big deal.

None of those fukcers in ND....or their fukcing dads....or their fukcing grandpas....had ever hunted waterfowl in anything but dry fields.....

...because they'd never seen water like the water that came after 1993. What was normal was ND being dry, and not the other way around. If it goes back to pre-93.....well, guys are going to shit a brick and scream how the sky is falling.

It might seem stupid North Dakotans forgot about the wet cycle over several generations. What's even more idiotic is how it's only taken not even one generation to forget about the dry cycle that was around for the entire history of their state pre-93.

People would vomit if they knew what it might be going back to. The very real possibility exists where ND goes back to pre-93, AKA "Normal," and the landscape and the hunting a lot of people fell in love with will be something there'll never see again the remainders of their lives.

But we're nowhere near time to start wondering that.....Devils Lake is still over a couple hundred thousand acres. How about we wait until calling this drought "80's-esqud" until it's approaching an area roughly that of Mille Lacs?

Keep all this in mind when hunting this fall. Don't be thinking if ducks don't favor MN versus the Dakotas that they should have like they did in the late 80's. Devils Lake will still be huge, larger bodies of water and type one wetlands will be low but will have water....anything the ND G&F has been stocking for decades with fish that you can launch a boat on and hammer the walleyes still.......

....that shit has to be all dried up before it'll be like it was in the 1980's.

I'm on board with h2ofwlr's prediction and think he's right, but Good God....it's been a slightly dry May followed by a really dry June thus far.

I don't know.....I'm on board with h2ofwlr's prediction but at the same time....I've got a feeling that we're not going to be saying, "the rain turned off like someone closing a spigot in June at the same time someone cranked the heat way up....and it just never let up from being like that the rest of the summer," in late August.

At this point I'll believe it when I see it. I don't think this three decade long unprecedented wet cycle is ready to give it up just yet.....
Last edited by Fish Felon on Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

lickmyvowels
Mergie Marauder

Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:10 am

Well I wasn't arguing with you. I was just showing how behind my area is "29"is yearly ave". I was just saying for me and my area it's feeling like how it was in 1989....oh and for the record, fk the Dakota's and their gay field hunters.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”