greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Re: The Big Push!

Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:04 pm

Few greenheads in our pasture pond when I checked the cows tonight. Tile fed and still wide open.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:05 pm

There was a pretty decent amount of birds coming through Sunday but most were 94'ing us so it took longer than it should of to get em.

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:34 pm

Very few birds along the river south of Hastings tonight. Saw quite a few migrating swans and geese though.

I dropped a nice greenhead just outside of the dekes and left him there, fearing I would bust my hide. A few minutes later a hungry Eagle came by and scooped him up. Cool to watch, but hate losing a bird.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:43 pm

How thick is the ice on small ponds in central mn? I still have to pull decoys out of our pond, thinking I may go bust up the ice for an afternoon hunt tomorrow and pull them. Was gonna do it this coming weekend but I assume ice will get pretty thick with lows near 10 Thursday

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: The Big Push!

Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:55 pm

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:How thick is the ice on small ponds in central mn? I still have to pull decoys out of our pond, thinking I may go bust up the ice for an afternoon hunt tomorrow and pull them. Was gonna do it this coming weekend but I assume ice will get pretty thick with lows near 10 Thursday
I've seen friends pictures on Facebook today with actual lakes froze over in central mn so I'm guessing you might want to bring a hatchet or something just in case.

I've seen three inches turn to 6 overnight when the temp dipped to 10 degrees. This was on a small 20 ft deep lake.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:20 pm

Thanks, snuck up on me it was wide open last Weds I didn't think it'd get this cold. It has a little water flowing in from drain tile so hopefully that helped. See how work goes tomorrow

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:08 pm

Lakes freezing?

Thought I would have seen that coming....

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:45 pm

lanyard wrote:Lakes freezing?

Thought I would have seen that coming....
Basically the season is over, no matter how much you try to tell yourself and everyone on here it's not...it still is over for the vast majority of minnesota.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:46 pm

Oh ya....

FK DA SPLIT!!!!!

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:52 pm

Bailey wrote:[quote="lanyard"][quote="Nershi"]It was an epic weekend to be a waterfowler in MN. Great reports coming in from all around the state. My dad really enjoyed getting on some good diver shoots. Reminded him of the old bluebill days at Red Lake.

Sounds like Al was at home checking weather forecasts during the big push.

I plan to hunt until the north zone closes. Should be able to head out ice fishing after the hunt this coming weekend. Skim ice on the lake out back this morning.

Fingers crossed at Thanksgiving we'll have ducks until 9:00, pheasants until lunch, then popping holes until an hour past sunset in SW MN.

The cold does suck, though. Buddy shut the water off at his cabin so had to bucket flush the toilet. Walking down to the wide open lake watching ducks fly every freaking direction while filling buckets from skim ice shoreline which all opened up with the NW wind yesterday.

Things are going to freeze, but to Hansen's point, this is the BEST freeze we've had in a long, long time. Nice and gradual with enough wind/weather. Wish I hadn't lost 6 hours on Thursday to a freaking household issue, would've made for a "blast" to hunt Thursday afternoon!

MN's Big Water issues might be a boon with NoDak and SoDak icing over. Better than any wind, no water in ND/SD should mean better hunting here. I should also add that the ducks I saw flying last night were heading North West, into the wind, for food and roost. Your honey hole might be locked up, but the game isn't over.[/quote]

It is going to warm up again in a week into the 40's. The game will not be over in southern mn. I fully expect I will be hunting the last day of the season on the river as usual.[/quote]And their lies the problem. Everyone thinks because "the river" might be huntable don't make all of southern Minnesota huntable. Now everyone gets screwed because a minority of hunters want to hunt later but didn't want their own zone because "but everyone will shoot my ducks".

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”