lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Re: The Big Push!

Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:46 am

I agree, it's coming into localized success season. Will see what happens. I've shot mallards off spring holes on an MWA when the waders had been hung.

I don't think anyone is going to have the same level of success as this past two weeks, but some people will still shoot ducks outside the Mississippi River.

I agree, the South zone split us brutal.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:47 am

Also, the "shoot ducks until 9:00" should be hunt ducks until 9:00. We shoot a couple, not 3 limits.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:12 am

Gimp do you email Pierra and Cordts each year about the splits? If I lived down there I would and I would be asking other hunters too as well.

The argument that the SE shouldn't have it's own zone because everyone will go there is a little silly because that is usually one of the only options by the last week or two of the season anyway. They ought to scrap the south zone and lump it in with the central and create a SE zone.

10 degrees at the house this morning. I'm a little concerned the launch near the golden eye spot is going to freeze solid Thursday night with lows getting down close to 0. Hopefully I'll be able to get a couple more weekends in.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:24 am

Can't be any different than launching out of Birchdale on Rainy River in Spring :-)

Talked to a buddy that deer things by Appleton, MN. Exact words, "In 47 years I've never seen so many ducks."

His family started me into duck hunting and I don't take his statement as exaggeration.

Friday I let Bluebills fly over for the fact it was one of the coolest moments I've experienced outdoors. Literally standing in a freaking Redlin painting.

For what this season wasn't in numbers for me it has been memorable. Great hunts with family and friends, and rejoicing in the memories made from hunting in solitude.

319 days to Duck Opener 2018.

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:57 am

A SE zone would be a good idea 494/35 south and east. Have a 2 week split there. The SWMN split it too long, nearly 2 weeks. It should run the same as the central zone. Cordts is actually receptive to emails and ideas. The few times I've emailed him he has replied quickly.

Duckman23
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:43 am

Yep, you guys that live in the south zone other than the guys in the southeast corner really get the shaft on losing hunting days! I am with Hansen it should be 494/35 south and east. With our DNR who knows if it will every change.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:33 pm

Duckman23 wrote:Yep, you guys that live in the south zone other than the guys in the southeast corner really get the shaft on losing hunting days! I am with Hansen it should be 494/35 south and east. With our DNR who knows if it will every change.

The DNR is locked into the framework for 3 or 5 years.

An ambitious and polite person would e-mail Mr. Cordts and ask nicely if there will be a public comment period when the framework is up for review.

The PITA with the DNR is they tend to follow opinions that match their assumptions. I.e. Landweird's issues with a teal season and "how many do you need to shoot?!" attitude.

Maybe since Mille Lacs is such a debacle their guard will be down and we can get the splits done right this time.

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:10 pm

lanyard wrote:Can't be any different than launching out of Birchdale on Rainy River in Spring :-)

Talked to a buddy that deer things by Appleton, MN. Exact words, "In 47 years I've never seen so many ducks."

His family started me into duck hunting and I don't take his statement as exaggeration.

Friday I let Bluebills fly over for the fact it was one of the coolest moments I've experienced outdoors. Literally standing in a freaking Redlin painting.

For what this season wasn't in numbers for me it has been memorable. Great hunts with family and friends, and rejoicing in the memories made from hunting in solitude.

319 days to Duck Opener 2018.

Well then Marsh Lake should of been on complete fire late last week.

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:12 pm

lanyard wrote:
Duckman23 wrote:Yep, you guys that live in the south zone other than the guys in the southeast corner really get the shaft on losing hunting days! I am with Hansen it should be 494/35 south and east. With our DNR who knows if it will every change.

The DNR is locked into the framework for 3 or 5 years.

An ambitious and polite person would e-mail Mr. Cordts and ask nicely if there will be a public comment period when the framework is up for review.

The PITA with the DNR is they tend to follow opinions that match their assumptions. I.e. Landweird's issues with a teal season and "how many do you need to shoot?!" attitude.

Maybe since Mille Lacs is such a debacle their guard will be down and we can get the splits done right this time.

Except when has the Minnesota DNR ever done anything that makes sense? It took a huge outcry from hunters to get them to give us a three Woodie limit. Same deal with the early shooting hours on opener. I think the only real reason they even changed that was the loss of hunters and and they are trying to appease what hunters are left by giving maximum shooting opportunities. A lot of people were complaining we needed a split before they enacted that because we had had a bunch of mild falls and the birds had come much later. The outcry had to be pretty strong because the DNR does not change anything to satisfy a minority of hunters unless of course I guess those hunters have deep deep pockets.

If you guys want to get it changed back you need to blast their email boxes day in and out. It does not really matter to me because I will just go hunt the Wisconsin side of the river if they changed it back. They don’t close until 12/6.

Duckman23
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:37 pm

I would agree that getting it changed would take awhile. Like you said we had mild falls and now we get a below normal fall temps and guys are losing hunting days. We can't control the weather so every fall is a gamble. Looks like after Friday morning temps get back to average so hoping some birds tough it out!

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”