169Sportsman
Coot Commander

Re: Red Lake: Go Early

Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:10 am

gimpfinger wrote:I don't know...maybe walleye guys can throw some back once in awhile or maybe don't keep your limit every day (or multiple times a day) for a week during a hot bite.

Most pike, muskie, flathead and bass guys have figured this out a long time ago.

your mom...

I agree 100%

I honestly can't believe that a civil conversation is taking place on mnfowl.com. Along with some good ideas regarding the slots. Overall I think the slots seem to work pretty well on most lakes other than mille lacs.

Btw Mille Lacs cyclically crashed before there were slots. My opinion is you will never get away from this. Simply because as soon there is a hot bite people flock there from the metro and fish it out.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:28 am

169Sportsman wrote:
Btw Mille Lacs cyclically crashed before there were slots. My opinion is you will never get away from this. Simply because as soon there is a hot bite people flock there from the metro and fish it out.

Exactly! Nets and slots have nothing to do with the cycle. It is all about the perch. When the perch do not have good hatches the baby walleyes become target number one. The walleye fishing is pretty awesome during these periods (think 2-4 years ago) and catching 50+ walleyes a day isn't too hard, they hit anything. During these periods those 27-29 inch fish only weigh about 5-6 lbs because they are literally starving. When the perch have good hatches and come back (think now) the baby walleyes are able to survive to adult hood because they aren't getting gobbled up by big walleyes. The fishing is a little tougher (normal) because the fish aren't starving. When you catch those big fish now they will be nice and plumb from gorging on perch. Mille Lacs is a walleye factory, always has been, always will, but if there are no perch those baby walleyes are food and the chances of them making it to breeding size are pretty low. If you talk to the guides and resort owners who have been on this lake for decades, most of them will tell you the same thing.

If the DNR wants to protect the walleyes when the perch are down they should put a mandatory catch and keep law in place to prevent the large amount of fish from dying from C&R. North Dakota has this law on some waters where they know people are going to be pulling fish up from deep water where mortality is very high. The amount of floaters on the lake a few years ago was a little disturbing.

Red Lake is a walleye factory as well and I don't think slots are going to do much, if anything, especially when you can only fish roughly 1/4 of the lake. It crashed before due to irresponsible netting. Keep the nets in check and there is no need for a slot IMO.

hobbydog
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:56 am

Nershi wrote:
169Sportsman wrote:

Red Lake is a walleye factory as well and I don't think slots are going to do much, if anything, especially when you can only fish roughly 1/4 of the lake. It crashed before due to irresponsible netting. Keep the nets in check and there is no need for a slot IMO.

It might reduce the wall to wall crowds. Imagine if they made it 6 under 20, what do you think that would do to overall fishing pressure? Increase it by what percent over what it is now?

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:24 pm

True walleye lakes are hard to fish out. It really almost does take nets to fish it out completely. There was some mind-blowing statistic for how many miles of nets were in Red...one of those 'could reach the moon and back' type of deals.

Look at Devils Lake. Open year round to sport fishing with a 5 fish limit and no slots and it's doing just fine. It gets a fair amount of fishing pressure too...probably comparable to Red in total hours fished.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:53 pm

hobbydog wrote:
Nershi wrote:
169Sportsman wrote:

It might reduce the wall to wall crowds. Imagine if they made it 6 under 20, what do you think that would do to overall fishing pressure? Increase it by what percent over what it is now?

Slots are made to protect fish populations not to reduce fishing pressure.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”