9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Re: Hunting this week and the heat

Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:48 pm

Maybe monday morning after the cool down........too old to hunt this heat crap...
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:55 pm

No birds anymore anyways. I'll still be out in the morning.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: Hunting this week and the heat

Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:38 pm

greatwhitehunter3! wrote:No birds anymore anyways. I'll still be out in the morning.

Doves for me in the morning. No geese here either.

Team Power Dump
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

tornadochaser
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Hunting this week and the heat

Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:16 pm

gimpfinger wrote:[quote="greatwhitehunter3!"]No birds anymore anyways. I'll still be out in the morning.

Doves for me in the morning. No geese here either.

Team Power Dump[/quote]
Doves for me in the morning as well. Got a field with a few hundred doves and 50-60 pigeons in it.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:46 am

I can't believe it. I seen a flock of geese. Heading North.

Did get my doves this morning.

Team Power Dump
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:52 pm

Going out tomorrow morning to give the housing development their first wake up call of fall

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: Hunting this week and the heat

Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:23 pm

Big Doe Hunter wrote:Anyone ever read the book Dante's Inferno? True hell is cold, not hot.

Personally I'd rather sweat than freeze my balls off!

I don't know I had a pretty fun day on the lake tubing and boating. Probably the last high 80s of the year so took advantage of it. Won't be much swimming a week from now.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:49 pm

We hunted West of Mankato after experiencing the biggest botched forecast I've ever seen with a 40% chance of showers and thunderstorms before 3am turning into us finally going into the field at 7:00am and then setting up between torrential downpours. I've never seen anything like the lightning from last night into this morning, it was all around us. Every time we thought it was pushing through it'd stop and change direction and come back through over us. We literally could see lightning the entire hunt starting from when we rolled into Mankato at 4am until we finally had enough of a break from the close shyte to pack up at 11am.

We left the spread repeatedly to seek shelter from being the highest point in a field during a lightning storm. I've never been scared while goose hunting until today. There were times I was laying face down as flat as I could in the spread waiting for it to pass enough in order to run across the field into a forested draw before the next wave hit and wait it out. My brother is an experienced project manager and is required to get everyone to vacate the job site when lightning is 7 miles away determined off of timing thunder counts. He said there were very few times when it wasn't striking within two miles and when we finally said let's get out of here it struck within a half mile while walking to the truck, where you feel the thunder instantly shake you after the light startles you.

On top of that the geese didn't cooperate as you probably guessed. I did shoot a single while setting my blind up, so I've already shot one more goose than h2ofwlr will this year, and then didn't see another goose for 90 minutes. Ended up seeing a lot of geese and working them fairly well to just outside the spread because they were like us, freaking out from the weather, going every direction, wind changing to every direction, every 360 degree used at some point as the front just kept forging new fault lines in the clouds above us, Most of the geese wanted in and since we didn't burn the field we're going back Monday with hopes of better weather. Most of the morning a hundred geese sat at the edge of the field a quarter mile out against the tree line and half in the cut corn and half in the standing beans. Very strange morning.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:57 am

Same thing this morning pretty much for us. Lightning all over setting up. Cleared out for a little bit saw 2 flocks that didn't know what they wanted, then more storms popped up. Stuck it out a while and picked up before the big downpour came and waited it out in one of the sheds. Then 2 flocks flew right over the field when it got sunny about 10:00 while we were bs'ing

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:24 pm

Bumped into Randy Bartz (aka the Flagman) and another group of hunters in Faribault yesterday. Both had similar stories about the rain and storms. No shots fired.

Several hundred geese were resting, sleeping, pooping, etc. in one of the city parks. A drive-by shooting was sure tempting.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”