bow-fishhunter
Mergie Marauder

Re: who else goes turkey hunting?

Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:30 pm

bow or shotgun? 2 totally different hunting tactics...
If a man speaks in the forest and there no woman is around to hear him... is he still wrong???

StuStiltman
Mergie Marauder

Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:41 pm

Shotgun, I've played around with bows before, I'm worthless with one, ( broken arm that didn't heal right).

bow-fishhunter
Mergie Marauder

Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:13 pm

#1 just like duck hunting pattern your gun figure you where to aim...
#2 get a hen decoy
#3 camo up! turkeys can see color and they can see movement exceedingly well!!!
#4 the push button calls are a Godsend for beginners
#5 put the turkeys to bed. that way you'll know what tree they roost in. if you have time watch them for a day or 2 typically they'll do the same thing day in and day out. I will watch them walk to a tree line etc. I hunt that tree line no closer than 60 yards away from the roost tree. up to 150yds away.

If you have a ground blind they don't give a crap about a new structure "blind" in the middle of a field. gun hunters have a lot more options because they don't have to move much to shoot. so you can just sit under a tree with your decoy(s) out.

I hope this helps and good luck It's a riot to hear a tom answer you calls
If a man speaks in the forest and there no woman is around to hear him... is he still wrong???

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:36 pm

Lars30 wrote:
dwendt wrote:I spaced and forgot to apply this year. Oh well just wait to see if I can snag a surplus

FYI- Every season after season "C" is over-the-counter, new this year

Thanks I hadn't heard that.

StuStiltman
Mergie Marauder

Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:42 pm

Thanks bow-fishunter, good advice.

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:44 pm

bow-fishhunter wrote:#1 just like duck hunting pattern your gun figure you where to aim...
#2 get a hen decoy
#3 camo up! turkeys can see color and they can see movement exceedingly well!!!
#4 the push button calls are a Godsend for beginners
#5 put the turkeys to bed. that way you'll know what tree they roost in. if you have time watch them for a day or 2 typically they'll do the same thing day in and day out. I will watch them walk to a tree line etc. I hunt that tree line no closer than 60 yards away from the roost tree. up to 150yds away.

If you have a ground blind they don't give a crap about a new structure "blind" in the middle of a field. gun hunters have a lot more options because they don't have to move much to shoot. so you can just sit under a tree with your decoy(s) out.

I hope this helps and good luck It's a riot to hear a tom answer you calls

Perfect info! #3 & #5 especially.

It's incredibly exciting, to hear a Tom just off in the distance or her a her come clucking in knowing a Tom won't be far behind. And nothing tops hearing this big birds fly down in the morning from their tree.

bow-fishhunter
Mergie Marauder

Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:15 pm

Holy crap sorry for all the typos! I had a pregnant wife needing something LOL.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:44 am

If you have A.D.D. as bad as me I would suggest a ground blind. It is nice being able to stretch out, sit in a chair, call, take a swig of cough syrup etc. without worrying about busting a bird creeping up on you.

I will also second #5. You can also catch them going back to the roost in the evening. I was not able to scout before hunting. I saw where they left the roost in the morning and set up on the same path they left and intercepted them on the way back to it before sun down.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:48 am

I just checked and I got drawn again. Zone 505 season C. I think I am going to try public land this year. There will be a lot of guys on the private I hunted last year. Might try running and gunning in a hilly area that I know holds birds.

Brose
Mergie Marauder

Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:11 pm

emptymag wrote:
Brose wrote:
emptymag wrote: Sit out in the ticks and mosquitoes to maybe get one shot at something that taste like the south end of a north bound horse.

Your kidding right?

Nope. I would like to kill a Merriams for a nice tail mount though.

Feel free to drop the meat off with me.
DOA Decoys Pro Staff
Mossy Oak Pro Staff

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”