lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Re: Internet Trolls

Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:11 pm

The intro nets... home to small minds and even smaller arguments.

tyler
Mergie Marauder

Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:19 am

lanyard wrote:The intro nets... home to small minds and even smaller arguments.

prime quote

Goldfish
Mergie Marauder

Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:55 am

It's really as simple as this:
If someone says stop, then knock it off. It ain't that complicated.

Al has said stop numerous times, yet the couple of you persist. I don't like seeing it. Whatever your deal is, figure it out.

Sent from a phancy fone

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:48 am

tyler wrote:
lanyard wrote:The intro nets... home to small minds and even smaller arguments.

prime quote

To be fair, that is a take off a Hemmingway quote describing suburbia as a place of ..."wide lawns and narrow minds..."

D.T. Hammer
Mergie Marauder

Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:28 am

h2ofwlr wrote:Again, another put down by you Trigger.
This is also what now days is called Bullying. The non stop attacks on a person and for what? The answer is above: "sadists feel sadistic glee at the distress of others” .

Do us all a favor Trigger - just shut the hell up if you don't have anything positive to say to anyone.

This is what makes Al a true HOF Troller.

I got booted off the other site for calling him out by the simple word I would post "attack"

But see above Al can bury the simple word "attack" into a woe is me post to slide off the curt and straight forward method I used.

I am learning from the best.

Keep it up Al I love to learn!!!
Buckthorn removal is easy with the buckthorn baggie :-)

triplecurler
Mergie Marauder

Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:04 am

So if nothing bites when you're trolling are you really trolling?
Ask Al how to successfully nest wood ducks, see you next season.

shnelson
Mergie Marauder

Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:49 am

Trolls will be trolls I guess, and anyone's capable of it depending on their mood.

Most of the time it's harmless, and so far moderating hasn't been needed for the most part. I'm OK with much of the discussion that happens in the general forum with the premise that the technical forums stay technical - sort of a zero tolerance zone to allow for members to ask questions and receive legitimate answers. That's not to say it can't happen under this forum, it just shouldn't be expected.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:28 am

Trolling has its own eco-system... its's the only way it can be sustained as it is a zero sum negotiation between at least two parties. Here is how I see it over the last decade, there are, of course, many other characters, but the subject is trolling. Also, many people change personalities, so the character isn't static. No description is intended to allude to any specific persons real or imaginary:

1) bravado poster~ likely full of b.s., but it's the internet, so WGAF
2) literal retort guy~ typically responds with some illogical expectation that all things posted on internet are true
3) almost pathological guy~ seen it all, done it all, knows it all.... often missing witnesses, facts, logic
4) Truth teller guy~ thinks he has unique perspective on pathological guy, only one that can see through "lies"

Here's how the troll works:
Bravado guy~ "birds were cupped and committed! Two of us whacked a 4 man limit of bluebills in 20 mins!"
Literal guy~ "You can't do that, it's against the law. I'm telling on you."
Pathological guy~ "I remember in '52 when the limit on bluebills was 10 and we shot that in 15 mins..."
Truth guy~ "No you didn't Pathological guy. Your dad maybe did, and told you the story. Liar. Pics or it didn't happen..."

After that, it takes about 4 pages of thread for everyone to pic sides, argue, bicker, defend themselves, change sides, and get so far off topic the thread dies because no one remembers why everyone was mad in the first place.

Now, it can start other ways, too:

Literal Retort Guy~ "Liberal regulations are why duck hunting will be dead by 2020...."
Bravado guy~ "Actually, I'm why duck hunting will be dead by 2020... can't kill duck hunting if you don't kill all the ducks!"
Truth Teller Guy~ "Wouldn't it be great if you were right Literal Retort Guy, but since it's WETLANDS you are a moron..."
Pathological Guy~ "In '92 I talked to John Wingduck, Phd at USFWS and he said botulism would likely be the end...."

Then it escalates from there to 4 pages of made up facts, debunked myths, and waxing about "the good ol' days", while team Bill Crusher starts posting pics of snow geese positioned to make a number like "208".

Stute Slap
Mergie Marauder

Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:43 am

Goldfish wrote:It's really as simple as this:
If someone says stop, then knock it off. It ain't that complicated.

Al has said stop numerous times, yet the couple of you persist. I don't like seeing it. Whatever your deal is, figure it out.

Sent from a phancy fone

"No" means "Yes".

I think Al likes the attention to a certain extent.

I don't think he liked it when on TOS, Luke took pictures of his truck in the parking lot at Fleet, carved a pumpkin of his likeness (possibly the funniest thing I have EVER seen on the internet) and feared being sodomized.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”