gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: The Big Push!

Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:47 am

Well bang me with a hot poker. Lake that was 90% open yesterday is solid this morning. Pretty dark yet but I can hear my rocks going across for quite a ways. Looks like its blind building till its light and then time to bust open this point. Wasn't expecting this with the wind in the teens most the night.

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:39 pm

How'd you do haha

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: The Big Push!

Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:44 pm

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:How'd you do haha
Zero wind, mid teens and I couldn't break a hole as fast as it could freeze. Then I took a broke willow sapling to the eye probably tearing the protective membrane around it and the wind left my sails. Back on the road by 8:30.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:11 pm

Sucks

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:14 pm

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:Sucks
Wasn't nothing around except for two swans walking around on the ice and a very confused cormerant that I just about stepped on in the dark. Not sure who chit themselves the worst?

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:13 am

gimpfinger wrote:
maplelakeduckslayer wrote:Sucks
Wasn't nothing around except for two swans walking around on the ice and a very confused cormerant that I just about stepped on in the dark. Not sure who chit themselves the worst?

Well that sucks. Going to try the river in a week with low expectations but I expect to get a few at least

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:11 am

From my travels on Sat in S Central Mn as far S as hwy 14, it was a 98% miss but when you find them they are thick. Many lakes were reopening up which surprised me. But most ducks have left. I did see 1 small slough that is private and they were THICK. Likely they had kept the water open these last couple of weeks. I did see a few flocks of geese right before sunset. Over all it was slim pickings.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:20 am

Had a great hunt on Sat, mallards flying all day, 3 of us ended up with 12 mallards and 2 geese, I didn't go Sunday but it was a sheet of ice in the morning, they ended up with 6 geese , all the ducks were gone......thinking this was the End......except for a few pockets of birds here and there.....
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:11 pm

9manfan wrote:Had a great hunt on Sat, mallards flying all day, 3 of us ended up with 12 mallards and 2 geese, I didn't go Sunday but it was a sheet of ice in the morning, they ended up with 6 geese , all the ducks were gone......thinking this was the End......except for a few pockets of birds here and there.....

I think goes directly to the point of the shorter split for most of the South Zone...... Nice to catch the wind down, but the extra "opener" and extra "weekend" amount to lower success over all as not enough birds are left for much opportunity. "Late Season" is staying open through Thanksgiving weekend.

We don't have enough global warming yet, nor change in migration patterns, to have everything South of 212 open a week into December.

Guessing there will be enough wankers thinking the late SE zone is the cat's meow there won't be any changes to dates coming out of this year's surveys.

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:16 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:From my travels on Sat in S Central Mn as far S as hwy 14, it was a 98% miss but when you find them they are thick. Many lakes were reopening up which surprised me. But most ducks have left. I did see 1 small slough that is private and they were THICK. Likely they had kept the water open these last couple of weeks. I did see a few flocks of geese right before sunset. Over all it was slim pickings.

I know one of the guides out near LQP is smashing daily limits of mallards per their facebook page. They are also shooting alot of geese. Hanson smashed them in the field as well. It probably takes alot of scouting but I am guessing you could get into some awfully good mallard field hunting in southern Minnesota still.

Al you should of gotten permission on that slough and put the hurt on them!

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”