lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Re: The Big Push!

Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:30 pm

Drove Hwy 13 South from New Prague this morning...... geese on big waters with small open pockets. Did not see mallards, but wasn't slowing down to check. No shortage of open water getting closure to Waseca.

Will be interesting to see what pops this weekend in SW Minnesota for me. Last year we had the wrong guy in the wrong spot pheasant hunting when 50 mallards jumped out of the drainage ditch..... working on new strategies this year.....

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:35 pm

Drove to the cities this past Saturday. Almost all water I saw on highway 14-15-12 was open. Big Lake was loaded with ducks and geese in the evening.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:40 am

Everything opened back up with this huge wind. Driving home last night I saw a 100 pack of mallards poor into bush lake in Bloomington. I turned around and watched them for a bit. It seems like new ducks are coming and going right now with this weather. Black Friday it's going to be 50 with a chance of rain.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:00 am

Hansen wrote:Everything opened back up with this huge wind. Driving home last night I saw a 100 pack of mallards poor into bush lake in Bloomington. I turned around and watched them for a bit. It seems like new ducks are coming and going right now with this weather. Black Friday it's going to be 50 with a chance of rain.

Wish the wind would keep blowing and highs top out at 38..... Going to be tough without something to concentrate birds

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:30 am

My brother got a call from a friend of his that was hunting pheasants near Morris yesterday. He said that there were clouds of ducks in the area, unlike anything that he had ever seen before.

Apple Valley parks were loaded with geese that kept the small ponds open.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:13 am

For a guy willing to drive and work you'll find excellent field hunting this long weekend, hunting pressure will be almost zero as well. I'm sure Minnewaska/Reno and other deep lakes are wide open and roosting tons of ducks.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:20 am

Bailey wrote:Al you should of gotten permission on that slough and put the hurt on them!

It would be wiser not to shoot the roost. But rather find where they are feeding and hunt the field.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:01 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:
Bailey wrote:Al you should of gotten permission on that slough and put the hurt on them!

It would be wiser not to shoot the roost. But rather find where they are feeding and hunt the field.

Seasons almost done.

Burn every roost possible, or sit on the computer and type away.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:31 pm

cstemig wrote:My brother got a call from a friend of his that was hunting pheasants near Morris yesterday. He said that there were clouds of ducks in the area, unlike anything that he had ever seen before.

Apple Valley parks were loaded with geese that kept the small ponds open.

Morris used to be my main hunting area when I hunted Minnesota alot. There did used to be alot of mallards show up some years. Some years none showed up.

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:32 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:

The last three or four days of the season I say shoot away at the roost. What difference does it really make at that point. Anyway how do you know is was a roost? Maybe it was the only open water around and they were just sitting on it all day and never went to the fields. Maybe they were divers!

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”