cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Re: SBE II

Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:11 pm

lanyard wrote:For $1800 the f'ing thing should work out of the box.

The fact that anyone invests so much time/cash to the continued operation blows me away.

So help me out: what makes them better!
"

Because it is one of the "B" (Benelli, Beretta, and Browning) guns, which we all know are the only guns that real waterfowlers shoot! :roll:

I think that Benelli got their reputation and following with the inertia drive system. Generally speaking, it is more reliable than a gas operated system and easier to maintain. The trade-off is the more felt recoil with an inertia system. To each their own. Fit & feel (shouldering and pointing) are more important than the operation system.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:29 pm

Bullet21XD wrote:
lanyard wrote:For $1800 the f'ing thing should work out of the box.

The fact that anyone invests so much time/cash to the continued operation blows me away.

So help me out: what makes them better!

Just stick with the 870.

We all know those are the bestest.

Actually, it's a pre-Beretta/Benelli Franchi 612 VS gas operated semi-auto.

Big Doe Hunter
Mergie Marauder

Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:59 pm

It's ALL about cleaning the rails. Q-tip & Hoppes 9. I suspect Bullet and others that don't have problems know this. I am yet to get my hands on a 'flawed' Benelli I couldn't make sing by cleaning the rails.
get-n-birdy wrote:Remember, just because it's not legal doesn't mean you can't do it, there's just a fee if you get caught.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:43 am

Q-tips are amazing things.

The only "complicated" mechanical issue I've seen with my gas auto is keeping the gas ports clean.

I've had a chance to hunt with Nershi and am not slogging him for his purchase.

And maybe it's because there are so many if them out there...

But a lot of guys are ".. best part about this gun is I don't have to clean it..."

I was an armorer in the US Army. Never met a firearm that didn't need maintenance.

Stute Slap
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:00 am

Bullet21XD wrote:
Nershi wrote:Variety of shells. Mainly Kents and red box federal. Type of shells don't seem to matter.

Yes synthetic camo. Is that what is causing this? Any ways to fix this bullet?

There is. May have to do some filing. Varies from gun to gun.

Just cycle the action slowly by hand and try to pinpoint exactly where its hanging up or getting tight,etc. If the bolt is slowing down during cycling, its losing energy and not operating properly.

The gun should be looser that Stutes girlfriend.

It's true.....I actually have to go off to one side to feel anything.

Big Doe Hunter
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:19 pm

lanyard wrote:
I was an armorer in the US Army. Never met a firearm that didn't need maintenance.

..and part of maintenance is using them! Splashing water.
get-n-birdy wrote:Remember, just because it's not legal doesn't mean you can't do it, there's just a fee if you get caught.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:05 pm

Big Doe Hunter wrote:
lanyard wrote:

..and part of maintenance is using them! Splashing water.

Outside of field and logistics MOS I never understood letting officers near weapons. JFC, the one in 10 administrators or med officers that were competent at break down/cleaning/assembly were like gold, or unicorns.

I was in a medical unit. Nothing made me cringe more than "field days". The collars were way too top heavy due to Drs and Nurses, which were GREAT Drs and Nurses, but they were often challenged by that whole Armying thing.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:10 pm

Update:

I called the gunsmith late last week and he told me when he would be in this week. Sure enough he wasn't in today when he said he would so I am going to go talk to him tomorrow. I talked with another gunsmith who works on other types of guns and he said I need the sure-fire spring which is stainless. I asked him if he has heard Wolf Magnum Spring and said no and told me to go with the sure-fire. Should I insist on the on the Wolf Magnum?

He also said they aren't going to file the gun down because it voids the warranty. I told him about my first gun and what I thought of Benelli's warranty and he didn't say anything. Hopefully it isn't there policy not to alter any guns. I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I talk to the gunsmith who will be doing the work.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:28 pm

If it makes you feel any better over on DHChatMN there's a whole thread about how Win SX3 is pile of garbage and all the problems everyone is having with it..... and the SBEII guys are all like, "MINE"S AWESOME!" :-)

Good luck Pete!

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:00 am

Sure Fire springs are stainless, but not really necessary if you keep your gun clean and lubed. The tension strength on them I believe are the same as a factory spring. They are more spendy than a Wolf Spring. Do a "Google" on Wolf Springs and check them out. I bought two of their springs; one standard and the other magnum from Midway USA. After trying both of them out, I preferred the magnum spring.

You could also go crazy and buy a complete Sure Cycle system (Recoil tube, plunger, and spring) that are all stainless and costs about $160.00. I just cleaned my recoil tube & plunger and installed a new spring.

IMO, there really isn't a gun out there that someone won't like. To each their own.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”