Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Re: Drought

Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:33 am

....and the dreaded drought of 2021 strengthens it's death grip on North Dakota.....a full 83% of the state now under the dark toll of extreme (EXTREME!) drought......

.....Quoth the raven, "Nevermore."

Screenshot_20210429-092728_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210429-092801_Chrome.jpg
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Sun May 02, 2021 8:59 am

About my earlier prediction, its based on the past on how the drought creeps Eastward out of the Dakotas. So when history is the basis, the drought will expand into MN.

Anyway.... more info for consideration:
AccueWeather just released their summer predictions. Based on them we will remain at least normal precip, with SE wet
Attachments
Screen-Shot-2021-04-30-at-11.57.19-AM.png
Drought-Outlook-2021.jpg
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Sun May 02, 2021 12:12 pm

Listened to radio show coming to work yesterday, fishing guide from Devils Lake area said Devils lake is down 6 feet, he said they're still pumping water out of lake but drought has played a huge role......
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Sun May 02, 2021 12:45 pm

The pump going full bore is only capable of dropping the lake 6" in an open water season. 6' is a lot. There'll be a lot of really good shit for duck hunting, especially on the West side.
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Sun May 02, 2021 12:52 pm

Fish Felon wrote:The pump going full bore is only capable of dropping the lake 6" in an open water season. 6' is a lot. There'll be a lot of really good shit for duck hunting, especially on the West side.

Dropping water levels good for duck hunting? Thought it was the other way around.

When we used to duck hunt devils years ago the freshly flooded areas was where it was at.

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Sun May 02, 2021 2:42 pm

There's a lot of stuff that got too deep. A lot of the West side was 8' to 9' so it'll now be 2' to 3.' Lots of bottom will be exposed, grow cattails....Shallower water = more freshwater shrimp, aquatic vegetation, etc.

Basically it's a massive drawdown so Christina × Pelican × 1000 due to the scope of the area getting recharged.

Drawdowns and low water make for better hunting. Is it more fertile than when it's going up? Probably not, but it's a lot more fertile than what it was with 6' more feet of water on it. I'll take low water over high water every time. Ducks & Geese like low water. Drawdowns don't just lead to better hunting once the water goes back up.....they lead to better hunting once the water is drawn down too.

I'd bet most duck hunters have a tale or two of going to a hunting spot only to find it a lower than when they previously hunted it. These tales typically have two staples to each. 1) It was a muddy motherfukcer that was hell getting out and back...dragging boats and gear over muck and the like. 2) They piss-pounded the fowl that day.
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Sun May 02, 2021 3:15 pm

I really do have stories like that. Even when shots needed to lengthened cause we were hiding in cattails and needed to shoot across the muck to the decoys on the water.

I don’t consider this a spot burn cause everyone already knows about this spot, but Artichoke WPA is just as described.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Thu May 06, 2021 7:10 am

New drought power rankings come out today! Which way will the pendulum swing? Towards h2ofwlr and his prediction things will only get drier, especially in MN? Or in Fish Felon's bold guesstimate that precipitation will thwart the evil drought and we'll see it loosen it's death grip on the upper Midwest?

Stay tuned!
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Fri May 07, 2021 9:44 pm

Is pretty dry...yard never really even got the full spring green up yet. Not a lot forecast for next week. Only thing saving it so far is the cooler temps...we warm up and still no rain get ugly in a hurry

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Mon May 10, 2021 11:43 am

Only difference in 2 weeks was SE Mn now has tan (level 2) drought.
Attachments
20210504_usdm.jpg
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”