Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Re: All you do gooders ID'ing ducks before you shoot I say B

Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:46 pm

I am a bit confused by the 50% attempt rate that keeps getting referenced.

Were there that fewer teal back in the 60's when this study was conducted? I scout a fair amount in early to mid september and I would say at least 70% of the ducks around at that time of the year are teal on most marshes, lakes, rivers etc. How can hunters shoot at 50% non-teal species when well over 50% of the ducks are teal? I believe the teal population has grown since then but has it by that much?

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:29 pm

Nershi wrote:I am a bit confused by the 50% attempt rate that keeps getting referenced.

Were there that fewer teal back in the 60's when this study was conducted? I scout a fair amount in early to mid september and I would say at least 70% of the ducks around at that time of the year are teal on most marshes, lakes, rivers etc. How can hunters shoot at 50% non-teal species when well over 50% of the ducks are teal? I believe the teal population has grown since then but has it by that much?

This is such an incredibly good point. And kind of the basis of why in my lifetime successful duck openers (statewide) have relied heavily on there being a lot of teal still around, we simply don't raise the prairie nesters like we used too.

The continental population was around 4mil in 1965 and mn shot around 180,000. Last year the population was around 9mil and we shot 120,000, which is a far cry from the 30% of the teal in the whole flyway claimed by some.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

triplecurler
Mergie Marauder

Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:04 pm

So attempt rate could be raising the gun and not pulling the trigger?
Ask Al how to successfully nest wood ducks, see you next season.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:49 pm

triplecurler wrote:So attempt rate could be raising the gun and not pulling the trigger?

And who's go say that some of the guys counting flocks shot at aren't counting with their emotions or can't id birds on the wing from a couple hundred yards.

sent from your under your bed
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:57 pm

triplecurler wrote:So attempt rate could be raising the gun and not pulling the trigger?

This is exactly correct. "Taking" game is basically te same as contemplating killing something. But I bet they required atleast a shot.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:25 pm

It is my understanding the "attempt" means you actually shot at a duck/s.

And BTW, the 1965 2.5 day Teal season along with the reg season we had harvested 181K BWTeal per the info that Cordts provided at the Mn Waterfowl Symp.

In recent years in the MS flyway, the early season Teal take is about = to reg season take with those states with a Teal seasons to our South. We have harvested in recent years about 100K teal during our reg season. So likley if we had a teal season it wouild be = to around 100K additional Teal. BTW, 61% of the Mn teal harvest is opening weekend.

Trigger wrote: The continental population was around 4mil in 1965 and mn shot around 180,000. Last year the population was around 9mil and we shot 120,000, which is a far cry from the 30% of the teal in the whole flyway claimed by some.

You misunderstand the 30% basis. In 1965 of the total harvest, we shot 1/3 of the Teal harvested in the MS flyway, not 1/3 of all teal.

Some of you perhaps should take a 1/2 hr and view Cordts presentation at the MN Waterfowl Symposium on the BWTeal. He starts at the 48 minute mark. http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/43335416

I forgot that in his presentation, IA now gets a special early any duck season. So it is not unprecedented at all that we could put forth for a 2 day Mid Sept any duck season which would count towards our 60 days. This would totally eliminate the concern of shooting non legal other ducks in a Teal only season.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Jrp267
Mergie Marauder

Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:20 pm

Yes, but I want extra days. Not just 2 of the 60 in sept. Other states are enjoying up to 9 extra days harvesting ducks. I want them.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”