9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Re: Post a picture you took in the last week.

Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:23 am

I've been seeing quite a few snapping turtles lately, egg laying season.......
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:21 pm

It’s crazy how much bigger ur d1ck gets when you start fly fishing. Like for real my scchlong is massive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:29 pm

Hansen wrote:Did you let the snapper live?

Yes I did. Scooped him out with a net and placed him down by the shore of the lake in my back yard. He pissed which I assume is a defense response. It was nasty and if he would got that on me he would have had a different outcome.

I know they are duck eaters but a lot of things are. I thought about trying turtle soup but I am too busy with projects right now and trying to fit some fishing time in between them to take on another project.

Are they even open for harvest right now?

Ever eat one?

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:28 pm

Nershi wrote:
Hansen wrote:Did you let the snapper live?

Yes I did. Scooped him out with a net and placed him down by the shore of the lake in my back yard. He pissed which I assume is a defense response. It was nasty and if he would got that on me he would have had a different outcome.

I know they are duck eaters but a lot of things are. I thought about trying turtle soup but I am too busy with projects right now and trying to fit some fishing time in between them to take on another project.

Are they even open for harvest right now?

Ever eat one?

Years ago I used to pick them up and clean them (pain in the a$$ to clean), guy I worked for years ago always had a turtle feed, he would pressure cook the meat and cut into smaller pieces , bread it and deep fry it, pretty darn good...........

Here's the regs I found about them......I honestly didn't know they were regulated.....

Minnesota Administrative Rules

6256.0600 CLOSED TURTLE SEASONS.
Subpart 1. Snapping turtles.

A person may not take snapping turtles during the months of May and June, including persons harvesting turtles for personal use under an angling or recreational turtle license and persons harvesting turtles under a commercial netting, turtle seller's, turtle seller's apprentice, aquatic farm, or private fish hatchery license
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:48 pm

Interesting information, May and June are prime turtle nesting season. I guess turtle soup is really good. I think snappers are high on the endangered species list.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:10 pm

I had a neighbor who used to put out set lines for them in the lake. He said he got em once in awhile. I’ve had snappers take stringers of fish in the bwca and on the lake I grew up on. I’ve caught them on hook and line too. They like leeches.

I’ve seen people stop on the side of the road and toss em in the back of their truck. During May and June of course.

I have also heard they are great eating but a bitch to clean. An old timer I know said they had every flavor of meat in them if you knew the cuts. He was kind of a bs’er so who knows if that’s true.

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:34 pm

Nershi wrote:I’ve seen people stop on the side of the road and toss em in the back of their truck. During May and June of course..

Honestly that's about the only time you see them............................

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:29 pm

Hansen wrote:Interesting information, May and June are prime turtle nesting season. I guess turtle soup is really good. I think snappers are high on the endangered species list.

I'm pretty sure you're incorrect and that painted, snappers, and even soft shells are pretty wide open when it comes to harvesting both for personal use and commercial. There's very little commercial harvest since there's less than a hundred licensed harvesters who were grandfathered in after they stopped allowing for new commercial licenses to be issued.

There's two types of turtles, and I think five sub species total of those two, that are threatened or endangered in MN. Blandings is one of them...can't remember the other.

Edit: box turtle...blandings and box turtles are the two threatened and/or endangered turtles that no harvest is allowed on in MN. I remembered as soon as I clicked submit....
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:32 pm

Wood turtle is the other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:07 pm

9manfan wrote:
Nershi wrote:I’ve seen people stop on the side of the road and toss em in the back of their truck. During May and June of course..

Honestly that's about the only time you see them............................

That’s the only time you see them walking around on dry land. I spent a fair amount of time trudging through swampy areas catching frogs and painting turtles as a kid. We’d see snappers occasionally during the warm summer months doing that. Just lurking around waiting for a duck, shore bird or frog to eat. Amazing none of us never got bit by one. Came damn close. We’d see huge ones too.

I’m guessing bait is the way to catch them during the open season. Toss some fish carcasses in the shallows in the bwca after cleaning them and the snappers usually clean them up pretty quick.

Anyone ever see any of the other turtle species in MN? Snappers and painters are the only ones I can recall seeing.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”