Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Re: SBE II

Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:32 am

as Cstemming said you're looking at $160 for sure cycle or $10 for a wolf. I have a wolf in mine and love it. I would insist on a wolf unless you don't mind sticking the 160 into it the gunsmith is trying to sell you on. If he hasn't heard of wolf springs, I'd question his credentials. Pretty popular amongst shooters with no g'smithing background. Should be standard protocol for anyone with formal training.

I've shot next to guys with SX3's..... I'd have no problem taking one for a test drive, they seem like a solid gun.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:29 pm

Nershi wrote:Update:

I called the gunsmith late last week and he told me when he would be in this week. Sure enough he wasn't in today when he said he would so I am going to go talk to him tomorrow. I talked with another gunsmith who works on other types of guns and he said I need the sure-fire spring which is stainless. I asked him if he has heard Wolf Magnum Spring and said no and told me to go with the sure-fire. Should I insist on the on the Wolf Magnum?

He also said they aren't going to file the gun down because it voids the warranty. I told him about my first gun and what I thought of Benelli's warranty and he didn't say anything. Hopefully it isn't there policy not to alter any guns. I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I talk to the gunsmith who will be doing the work.

If your having cycling problems due to the bolt not opening, why would you put an extra power spring in it? Wouldn't this make the problem worse, try an under power spring?
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:06 am

I posed the same question earlier in this thread. I'm hoping the issue is just filing down in a couple spots. Any suggestions on a good under power spring?

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:00 am

Nershi wrote:I posed the same question earlier in this thread. I'm hoping the issue is just filing down in a couple spots. Any suggestions on a good under power spring?

Wolff
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:56 am

Seriously, if your gunsmith was competent he'd have it fixed by now. Either find the friction spot like bullet said and fix it or bring that pos to ahlman's or an actual gunsmith vs a hobbysmith. Even if you upgrade springs, you are still dealing with a hangup spot more than likely. Throwing money at parts will just piss you off more. Find the problem, then fix it. I'm usually not this much of a prick but damnation this seems more like operator error and an incompetent gunsmith than the actual gun. For it to be the second one and the first thing the gunsmith recommends is a spring upgrade in a new gun, I'd be looking for a new mechanic.

Sorry to be so forward or prickish but I would take a drive or find a qualified,competent gunsmith vs wasting all this time and energy piddly farting and dicking around with something that should be an relatively easy fix.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:19 am

I got my gun back last week. Wasn't too impressed with the gunsmith. All he did is replace the spring with a Wolff Mag and fired it three times and called it good cause it didn't jam. I told him to shoot a box through it to make sure it's cycling right and I'd pay for the shells. This guy works at a gun shop with a good reputation and knowledgeable staff so I'm a little surprised he couldn't follow some simple instructions. I put a box of 2 3/4 steel through it that I had laying around to test it out. Good news is it isn't jamming the same way it was and isn't jamming as much but bad news it is still jamming every 10-15 shots. I don't feel the slide catching like it was before so I believe the spring was the problem but I think the mag spring is a touch too heavy. I am going to order the standard and light Wolff springs and try to replace them myself. Is it a difficult job? The gunsmith told me how to do it and it sounds like the shims would be the most challenging part. I'm going to try to find some youtube vids to help. I was really hoping to have this fixed before I head to Sask this coming weekend.

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:56 am

It's an easy job, especially now that the gunsmith has heated and broken the threadlok seal around the nut on the tube housing your main spring.

remove but pad
remove stock
take the nut off the mainspring tube (careful toward the end or your mainspring will fly)
replace and reassemble

Careful if you clamp onto the tube to hold it while taking the mainspring nut off, to not pinch the that tube, it's lighterweight aluminum and you could crush it easily.

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:04 pm

Mallard_maniac wrote:It's an easy job, especially now that the gunsmith has heated and broken the threadlok seal around the nut on the tube housing your main spring.

remove but pad
remove stock
take the nut off the mainspring tube (careful toward the end or your mainspring will fly)
replace and reassemble

Careful if you clamp onto the tube to hold it while taking the mainspring nut off, to not pinch the that tube, it's lighterweight aluminum and you could crush it easily.

What he said!

Gun cycling issue's suck. Especially when people who hate a brand start adding their biased dumb arse opinions and how flawless they make their brands sound.

Hope the new spring helps. Good luck with it.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”