Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Re: Fall 2022

Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:11 am

I'll be in a wedding this weekend, no hunting for me. First opener I've ever missed since I started duck hunting when I was 14. As it's gotten closer to the date, I will admit, I've gotten a little sadder than I actually thought I would. I'm really gonna do my best to put on a happy face, not make any smart ass comments about my seething resentment and bitterness and just have a good time. It really will be a good time, but the cost is too high. A man should never be expected the miss duck opener. Especially from friends he made thru duck hunting.

Oh.... but the old school duck camo vests we will be wearing under our suits will show everyone what serious duck hunters we are. Embarrassing.

Once the wedding is over, I will be firing shots about how wack the wedding date was.

BE A FU(KING MAN and take some command in your relationship. My fiance and I went back and fourth over wedding dates, she really wanted a fall wedding. I told her no fall wedding dates, and in return I caved on many other things, which I cared much less about. A fall wedding date is not something I was going to allow. Many of my friends are hunters, I'm a hunter. It would be so **** rude to make them miss any weekend in the fall, let alone opener.

I'm going to burn probably 6 hours of PTO, gas/lodging/attire will probably be north $700 by the end of it. But I get to be known as an important person within one social circle for ONE night and miss duck opener, super worthwhile trade off.

Duckman23
Mergie Marauder

Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:46 pm

We used to make a whole weekend out of the opener. Camp out on a private slough we hunted for 20 plus years. We lost that particular spot a couple seasons ago so now it doesn't have as much appeal. Will do some scouting around tonight maybe just hit a field for geese and avoid the public spots. People will be in a rude awakening if they didn't check there spots to see if there is still water in them. Seen sloughs in our area I have never seen dry be dry this year!

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:05 pm

Literally a 100-150 mallards landing in a wheat field behind the wedding venue. Anyone want a pin drop near Blackduck holler at me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:19 am

Never mind two dudes went out there and didn’t hide and tried to shoot ducks and didn’t kill a single man me.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:37 pm

DD had I known you were going to be up there suffering through having to miss an opener, I would have sent you the invite to hop in the boat. We were within a somewhat reasonable drive from blackduck.

We had a great first opening weekend at the shack. We went in to a little fresh water shrimp spot and beat up on the ringers pretty good. Watching those little buggers bomb in from the heavens in to a little hole like fighter jets will never get old. First opener I can remember shooting only one species. Very few puddlers in most areas around there due to no rice. A couple of the other guys got a few. Saw a few groups of snows come over Saturday which was a little odd for that area.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:14 pm

Nice, ya I fell in love with the ringers first time I hunted the back lakes at the cabin. Super fun

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Fall 2022

Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:29 pm

Nershi wrote:DD had I known you were going to be up there suffering through having to miss an opener, I would have sent you the invite to hop in the boat. We were within a somewhat reasonable drive from blackduck.

We had a great first opening weekend at the shack. We went in to a little fresh water shrimp spot and beat up on the ringers pretty good. Watching those little buggers bomb in from the heavens in to a little hole like fighter jets will never get old. First opener I can remember shooting only one species. Very few puddlers in most areas around there due to no rice. A couple of the other guys got a few. Saw a few groups of snows come over Saturday which was a little odd for that area.

I appreciate that! If I’m ever up there again I will for sure take you up on that, especially if you crushing limits of ringers looking for scuds.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:55 am

I was thinking of you DD, wondering if you had put together a hunt plan in spite of the wedding.

What you saw is exactly why I hate opener. I just suck at hunting around other people and then morons get a slam dunk field and don’t shoot a single thing.

My wedding was March 1st… definitely wasn’t the most convenient location but we figured the date was as safe from hosing up people’s plans as possible

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:19 pm

A buddy of mine scouted a place where 5 other people could walk to. I told them I wasn’t going and they gave me a little bit of shit, and surprise surprise, none of them made it out in the morning anyways. If I actually packed my stuff and committed to hunting I would have ended up hunting alone anyways, cause I never flake on a hunt.

March 1st is a great date. people will look forward to doing something after a long winter and there isn’t much it can get in the way of.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:19 pm

Just booked a 8 day salt trip to mag bay end of November. Trying to do a week in Sask end of October now that the border is open to true bloods. Gonna be an expensive fall.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”