maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Re: Post a picture you took in the last week.

Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:36 pm

Looks sweet!

kwackkillncrew
Sour Toe Connoisseur

Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:24 am

It does make for a pretty nice day. generally we hunt in the smaller coves but when its dead calm like that they seem to hang out on the shore of the big water. I have watched some geese for the passed few years and have their movements down to about the hour. They fly from one tidal flat to the other and it starts around noon. One of these days were going to bring out layout blinds, hunt sea ducks till 1130 then run over to the flat and throw out some socks and our blinds to get our geese. Theres generally around 200 birds that go back and forth. Normally in 3 or 4 flocks so we would have to make the shots count. It can be tough going from speed demon sea ducks to slow flying honkers. its about a 20 mile run from the harbor out to this spot.
official sour toe member number 52,814

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:39 pm

Kwack do you hunt puddlers at all?

My buddy in Soldotna stayed up there this fall and has been doing good on the mallards and widgeon. He said it is supposed to get even better in November. I am kicking around the idea of heading up there after we freeze up. Odd time of the year to head to Alaska.

kwackkillncrew
Sour Toe Connoisseur

Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:37 pm

I use to but the areas around Anchorage are flooded with people and I dont like getting up that early to fight for spots. Also need mud motor boat to get to them and I decided on a ocean boat instead. Freeze up can be pretty good down in kenai the ducks flock to the kenai its self as well as skilak lake. Mid november I got sole buddies from MN coming up for our annual homer hunt. Trying out a new spot to hopefully get into some better scoter action with the possibility of old squaws.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
official sour toe member number 52,814

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:23 am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:47 am

What’s the second pic? Bigfoot?
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:09 pm

Bigfoot holding a canoe paddle.

Actually a moose missing one of its paddles. Long distance cell pic. Shot some pheasants in bigfoots back yard.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:52 pm

Let us know how your dog responds to the porcupines. I’ve been fortunate to have sensible dogs but I’ve heard of dogs that can’t even be hunted because they start hunting for more porkies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:04 pm

Dang...how the dog handle it let you work on getting them out ok or freaking out? Never had to deal with it...just pull them out and good to go?

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”